Appx integration not working with .9910 or .9916

ZilchGuy

I can't get store app integration working with NTLite .9910 or .9916. It works fine with .9880.
Did something change?

Can you be specific and include your preset (after removing any user passwords or license keys)?

The MSIX files that are added to the updates section do not show up on any user accounts after installing Windows.
Even running Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online does not show the added apps.
There are no errors during NTLite processing.
This issue started with version .9910. Version .9880 does not have this problem.

Preset attached.

Attachments

• Win 11.xml
    10.6 KB
Last edited:
I tried to duplicate this, by using NTLite .9916 to integrate both apps on W11 24H2. As you can see, Firefox has installed correctly and runs.

Attachments

• Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-02-03.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-02-03.png
    69.5 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-16-20.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-16-20.png
    161.9 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-17-25.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-04-25-00-17-25.png
    75 KB
For some reason those two apps are showing up in \Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages folder and not in \Program Files\WindowsApps

Any ideas?

I have tried it with Optimize Appx off and the results are the same.
I am using Windows 11 23H2. I have never had this issue until I started using version .9910 or .9916.
I can use the same preset and the same version of windows with version .9880 and this issue does not occur.
Has something changed in the way NTLite does the integration of Appx files?

Have you tried downloading official Firefox MSIX here and Thunderbird here?

I have just integrated Firefox MSIX into my image, and I did not experience your problem.

Reading the Changelog, recent changes mostly deal with processing App dependencies or license files.

Both Mozilla packages are standalone, they're simply repackaged Win32 Apps inside a MSIX container. The fact that you see them under WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages, means something de-provisioned them.

Can anyone explain what this update means?

Updates: Improved MSIX integration
frameworks group-applied with the main app instead of individually

There's two ways to install apps that have dependencies:
1. Install each dependency as an individual package once. Afterwards, install the parent apps that required them.
2. Install an app, and provide its required dependencies at the same time.

1st method minimizes the duplication of effort (we're installing dependencies on behalf of all apps, whether they care or not).
2nd method follows each app's AppxManifest.xml and explicitly provides each dependency (even though they might be ignored as already installed).

So does NTLite use both of those methods, or one method prior to .9910 and the other after?

It would seem the issue I have may only be with those two Mozilla apps. I was able to install apps from some other vendors just fine.

Last edited:
You're right it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does in my case.

I did try the apps straight from Mozilla as Annie suggested above, and they did work but they appear on the start menu as Mozilla Thunderbird and MozillaFirefox. No space between Mozilla and Firefox, which looks kind of funny.

Not sure why those work and the others don't.

You're right it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does in my case.

I did try the apps straight from Mozilla as Annie suggested above, and they did work but they appear on the start menu as Mozilla Thunderbird and MozillaFirefox. No space between Mozilla and Firefox, which looks kind of funny.

Not sure why those work and the others don't.
Hi ZilchGuy,

Maybe I am side-tracking, but may I know if you must use MSIX for installation of Firefox and Thunderbird? While both MSIX are fully supported versions downloadable from Mozilla, I think Firefox and Thunderbird really installs best with EXE or MSI versions because of customization options.

I just kind of like the idea of letting the store app handle the updates as opposed to having another background service running that does it.
That and the simplicity of just being able to easily integrate the apps, and not having unwanted shortcuts placed on my desktop by default.

Where did you download the packages?

Store version of Firefox (ProductID 9NZVDKPMR9RD):
Code:
<Identity Name="Mozilla.Firefox" Publisher="CN=082E9164-EE6C-4EC8-B62C-441FAE7BEFA1" Version="125.0.2.0" ProcessorArchitecture="x64" />

HTTP /pub release:
Code:
 <Identity Name="Mozilla.MozillaFirefox" Publisher="CN=Mozilla Corporation, OU=Firefox Engineering Operations, O=Mozilla Corporation, L=Mountain View, S=California, C=US" Version="125.0.2.0" ProcessorArchitecture="x64" />

I don't think the two are interchangeable MSIX files. You're supposed to integrate the Store (UWP) app.

I just kind of like the idea of letting the store app handle the updates as opposed to having another background service running that does it.
That and the simplicity of just being able to easily integrate the apps, and not having unwanted shortcuts placed on my desktop by default
Agreed. While I can make the MSI installation such that there is no desktop icon and no background Mozilla Maintenance Service, you still miss the ability for background updates by Microsoft Store.

The MSIX files that are added to the updates section do not show up on any user accounts after installing Windows.
I just tried your preset above with build .9925. While I do not have the .reg files mentioned in the XML, I integrated both Store version of Firefox and Thunderbird (downloaded from store.rg-adguard.net) with success.

Therefore, my suggestion is to get the latest version of NTLite, try loading this "Win11-Test.xml" (which is based on your preset above) and you may re-add the .reg files and see if this fixes your issue.

I think I would stop here as I am interfering garlin's work. Thank you.

Attachments

• Win11-Test.xml
    9.1 KB
Back