Backporting Drivers from Windows 10 to 7?

KaptanJackSparrow

It seems like a silly questions however is there anyone or any tools for Back porting Drivers from windows 10 to windows 7 ? I would normally think the answer would be no however I have seen the odd case of things like universal usb 3 drivers made for windows 7.

my challenge is that I have a Lenovo Miix 510 and it's proving next to impossible to find windows 7 drivers. anyone have any ideas ? Notably things like the touchscreen driver are an issue.

Unless there were Win7 drivers released for the laptop, you can't really use Win10 drivers on 7 as far as I'm aware. Maybe Snappy Driver Installer has it but aside from that and the official sources, you're out of luck

you stand a better chance with 8.1 and Snappy DI. unless you have already got 7 working on your hardware use whatever os it came from the factory with or whatever w10 build works. keeping 7 working is becoming a pain in the arse. driver fudging info can be found at places like win-raid and mdl.

Last edited:
I've managed to install a couple of W8 or W10 drivers for my Lenovo Y50-70's touchpad and camera from the factory downloads. You extract the embedded driver folder using one of three methods:
  • Find a command line option for extracting to a specific path.
  • Use 7-Zip to extract the driver folder from the EXE.
  • Use innoextract if the installer uses that format.
Bypassing the installer will likely trigger a warning about unsigned drivers, since you're not updating the certificate store. But most people know how to get around this problem. This probably works for the bare drivers, but not for included utility programs which require W10.

YMMV.

you need to be able to edit ini files to do that i don't think you have any kind of knowledge since you ask everything

unsigned drivers, as in the "trust software from company X" warnings?
if that is the case,,,
if you have previously installed that driver from an installer package and got the "trust x from" and clicked "always trust" then it will have gone into the registry. export that key, load it into ntlite Registry page then you can add either the driver/inf or add the installer to POst Setup. ive done this(driver files) and it works on my w7driver pack for intel. if you run the installer once the reg file export has been merged then you wont get the warning.

Back