Bizarre scenario for OneDrive manual install - if removed from ISO by NTLite

Sonicmojo

Further to a discussion I started today in the Eleven Forums - has anyone removed OneDrive from a Windows 11 ISO with NT Lite, then installed the OS and then try to install OD manually - only to have it do absolutely nothing?

I have tried everything I can think of from 5 standard reinstalls, powershell installs, winget installs, EndPoint Central installs and nothing I have done works.

In all cases - OneDrive appears to install just fine - all icons are in the right spot - but no matter what I do - the app will not start. No errors, no tray icons, no "Let's setup OneDrive" - no nothing. Even double clicking on the exe - does nothing.

Is this a known thing by anyone who has done this before - I would think since this has been part of NT Lite removals for a long while - any known issues would have been addressed.

I do not say this often - but man - I am stumped.

S

Duplicate cross-post from ElevenForum: OneDrive will not start?

nuhi - When OneDrive client is removed, don't pre-emptively enable DisableFileSyncNGSC by default. Otherwise when the user re-installs OneDriveSetup, the desktop app won't run. I don't know if the original intent was to permanently block re-installs from the CU.

Further to a discussion I started today in the Eleven Forums - has anyone removed OneDrive from a Windows 11 ISO with NT Lite, then installed the OS and then try to install OD manually - only to have it do absolutely nothing?

I have tried everything I can think of from 5 standard reinstalls, powershell installs, winget installs, EndPoint Central installs and nothing I have done works.

In all cases - OneDrive appears to install just fine - all icons are in the right spot - but no matter what I do - the app will not start. No errors, no tray icons, no "Let's setup OneDrive" - no nothing. Even double clicking on the exe - does nothing.

Is this a known thing by anyone who has done this before - I would think since this has been part of NT Lite removals for a long while - any known issues would have been addressed.
As garlin pointed, you can do it by using the tool, loading C:\Windows as the target.
Then under the Settings page, find OneDrive and set to Default instead of Disable.
Manually would be:
Go to Regedit and find under HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive
and delete DisableFileSyncNGSC.
Reboot and it should work then. Will remove that automatic entry if not needed, but now you have a potential solution.
If confirmed, please post on that other forum of the solution.

Duplicate cross-post from ElevenForum: OneDrive will not start?

nuhi - When OneDrive client is removed, don't pre-emptively enable DisableFileSyncNGSC by default. Otherwise when the user re-installs OneDriveSetup, the desktop app won't run. I don't know if the original intent was to permanently block re-installs from the CU.
Nice catch, will remove that entry and see how aggressive Windows Update is in that regard - did it more as a precaution.

Back