Boot Manager Option

Bournesup

What is this option, and how does it impact installing windows and host refresh.

My system
  1. MSI b660m-a pro wifi ddr 4 MB
  2. ram 32 gb
  3. CPU 12400f
  4. gpu rtx 4060 ti

If you're referring to the Boot Manager components, every PC requires the boot type version (UEFI or MBR) that's enabled by your BIOS.
- For an UEFI-only PC, Boot Manager (UEFI) is required.​
- For a legacy-only PC, Boot Manager (PCAT) is required.​
- When you can install on either boot type, both Boot Managers should be kept.​

W11 officially only supports UEFI boot mode, so the (PCAT) version becomes optional. But some users can trick W11 into running on a MBR setup, even though that's unsupported.

If you don't have the matching Boot Manager, then Windows won't boot at all.

bootman.jpg

This option is part of 9925 version, (latest release), and it says it is disabled by default. My Pc is configured for UEFI by default, with TPM 2.0 secure boot enable as well. Presently I am still on W10, not planning to upgrade to W11, which I will July 2025. To many unknowns for me yet.

I expect nuhi's looking ahead at the UEFI boot code revocations planned for late 2024, to prevent users from using the insecure boot loaders. In that case, you would need to cache the latest boot files and apply them to all old images.

I guess what you are talking about is bypassing installing to a microsoft account. Which is what I mean by too many unknowns.

No, we're talking about last year's news where the Black Lotus UEFI rootkit makes all UEFI PC's vulnerable to hacking. To prevent it, all Windows and Linux images must replace their boot loader files, and BAN the older files by revocating their digital certificates.

NTLite already has some logic to check the boot files, and has some idea if those are eligible for banning. Because W11 has not yet started to make changes mandatory, this feature will stay in development.

Back