Bugs and Annoyance

thmtrxhsu

This on issues and annoyances encounted when using NTlite.

1. NTlite has bugs relating to simultaneously adding updates to the iso and removing components.

Let's put it bluntly.
Session 1 just integrates updates.
Session 2 integrates updates and removes components.

Session 1 is errorless.
Session 2 is full of errors.
Therefore updates are not being applied in a fully isolated environment otherwise both Session 1 and Session 2 would errorless.
This is unacceptable and unintential dirty programming. Please fix this.

In relation to removing the sound themes from multimedia in ntlite, a reg fix should be applied to avoid a trace condition that involves UAC and that prevents most administration. Don't have said reg file just yet.

Finally,

There is a lack of clarity regarding conditions for deep removal.
The conditions for deep removal are:
1. Requires windows update; god knows why.
2. Requires Component Store
3. Windows Reset must unchecked in both compatibility and component.

Without this knowledge some voodoo allows and denies deep removal.

One way to solve this is to add a deep removal button in compatibility which would grey out the above.

Inevitably someone will look into this and see what you mean, but I can tell you now we all are going to need more information, otherwise it's too difficult to try and reproduce. The main issue you are going to run into here is one of two things, is this NTLite's fault, or is it actually Microsoft's fault. It's more than likely going to be the latter, however if there are bugs and issues in NTLite then let me help you get them seen by the right people:

- Which version of Windows are you dealing with?

- Can you provide details about the errors you see? What specific errors, have any logs to attach?

- Can you clarify more about deep removal? Without knowing specifics it's kind of hard to know what the issue is. What I mean is, it's actually Microsoft's fault that so much stuff relies on other OS components. I know you didn't bring this app up in particular, but like the Xbox stuff can't be removed without breaking a ton of other features, and that has nothing to do with NTLite, but rather the way in which Microsoft is building the OS.

- I'm not sure what you mean about the UAC, are you saying you encounter an error in NTLite because of UAC existing in the OS ISO? Or because the Windows OS you are running the NTLite program from is giving you UAC issues? If the latter is true, can you not just lower the UAC level?

thmtrxhsu - This thread is not helped by your disrespectful remarks.

NTLite allows for a wide range of possible edits, but not all of them are workable, or won't have unintended side effects. Unlike most Windows modding apps, NTLite works down to the component level. The tradeoff is this level of detail can often break Windows.

There's no way to predict if specific updates & removals applied in a single pass will work. It depends on the exact components, and the order of execution. Generally if you add no updates in the same pass, removals will always work unless there's hidden dependencies. The compatibility feature will catch the obvious cases.

The general rule for advanced level NTLite modding has always been to perform two passes:
1. Integrate all features & updates, Apply.​
2. Remove components and add tweaks, Apply.​

The servicing stack works best when you apply all additions first, before performing subtraction. Otherwise conflicts will occur from unfulfilled dependencies. You can't split Windows updates into partial installs.

Moving on to your multimedia question.

UAC by default wants to open a dialog and play a system WAV file. It lacks proper error handling for that exception. By the same token, then ANY Windows feature which invokes playing audio is also broken. It's not unique to UAC, but that's how you discovered the issue. Your workaround is to disable system sounds, which is a known reg entry. Apply it in your preset.

Since you haven't shared your preset, it's not clear whether NTLite is reasonably at fault. If you want more eyes helping out, stop dissing nuhi and this community.

There is a lack of clarity regarding conditions for deep removal.
If you remove the Component Store and Windows Update then NTLite will not show the warning that deep removal mode is enabled but it is. Other than that, I don't understand what difficulty you're having to enable deep removal.

https://www.ntlite.com/changelog-2020/
2022-05-18 00_10_28-Changelog 2020 – NTLite.png

But I agree that this could be clearer in the GUI.

One way to solve this is to add a deep removal button in compatibility
I think this is a good idea.

Last edited:
Back