Can I add drivers to the image in the Free version?

KatzWo

I am facing 2 issues:

1) The ASUS drivers for my laptop (on the manufacturer's website) can only be downloaded as exe's, not inf's

2) Even when I add the folder containing these drivers, I still can't see the status 'Missing' become 'Found'

The free version supports full driver integration.

1. Extract driver files from EXE's using 7-Zip, innoextract, or using some command-line that's only known to other users on your OEM's forum.

2. On the right is the HW checklist for the host. NTLite is checking if the loaded image is missing drivers for devices matching this host.
If your target system has different HW, then ignore the "Missing" flags.​

With the licensed version, you can auto-import the host's driver files into the image without searching folders.

The free version supports full driver integration.

1. Extract driver files from EXE's using 7-Zip, innoextract, or using some command-line that's only known to other users on your OEM's forum.

2. On the right is the HW checklist for the host. NTLite is checking if the loaded image is missing drivers for devices matching this host.
If your target system has different HW, then ignore the "Missing" flags.​

With the licensed version, you can auto-import the host's driver files into the image without searching folders.
How come these .exe drivers, when extracted by 7zip, don't have any .inf files?

Did you read all the answers on #1? There is no universal self-installing format, several exist. You have to figure out if it's 7-Zip compatible, Innoextract, some obscure command line, or no option at all. Unless it's provided, Google is your friend.

Did you read all the answers on #1? There is no universal self-installing format, several exist. You have to figure out if it's 7-Zip compatible, Innoextract, some obscure command line, or no option at all. Unless it's provided, Google is your friend.
Okay I figured it out thank you.

One question I'm left having: Is it okay if I install drivers for many different makes / models of laptops (ASUS and ACER in my case), would that cause any issues with deploying the image? I am talking about injecting drivers for different makes of laptops into the same image.

This is a common scenario, you can merge different driver sets into the same image as long as they don't DUPLICATE device ID's. When there are duplicates, the first INF Windows matches wins and gets loaded. This winning driver may not always be the one you expected.

Otherwise, you can have different sets mixed together. In reality, most OEMs use a limited number of chipsets and some of them are actually the same for different brands or models. For example, most NVIDIA cards can share drivers since they're all written by NVIDIA.

Some users will borrow drivers labeled for another brand, if the chipset matches.

Adding extra drivers just increases the size of the ISO, and the installed image's size unless you run "pnputil -d" (or a similar function) to delete the unused drivers from the system.

If the driver sets are very specific, then you need to write some expert Post-Setup scripts which query BIOS to to get the model number, and then run specific driver EXE's or PNP drivers commands.

Back