Can NTlite read or modify windows installations on an adjacent partition ?

KaptanJackSparrow

Ntlite is able to do a host refresh, fetch drivers etc from a live system let's say drive C however is it possible to us NTlite to read and pull drivers from an installation on Drive D while running under drive C ? This could potentially be a useful feature if I wanted to grab drivers or see what updates are installed on a non active operating system. useful if that operating system couldn't run NTlite for whatever reason.

also is there a way to save an external copy of the drivers NTlite finds in bulk ?

NTLite can load a windows installation from another partition but by the look of it you cannot back up drivers from it, you will need to run ntlite or a 3rd party driver grabber from that installation to get them, pinging nuhi for correct information.

only other thing i can think of is go to :\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository on that partition and copy them.

Last edited:
only other thing i can think of is go to :\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository on that partition and copy them.

That's interesting I didn't think of that, however that folder is a horrible mess (why couldn't someone teach the people at Microsoft some organisation and descriptive naming.) I guess the problem with that is I'm not exactly sure how Windows links the FileRepository to the device driver in the device manager, I mean theoretically the INF file has device id and the system matches the driver to to the device ID stated in the INF file. I'm not sure how it handles the same device on different ports (remembering that the device driver is installed on a port by port basis) I'm also not sure how windows handles forced hacked or forced device drivers which is often necessary with things like the infamous Xbox controllers or Bluetooth adapters to get them to talk to PlayStation controllers. Anyone have any insight on this ?

IT would be nice if NTlite had the ability backup the drivers from another partition and/or export them from the host operating system in a human friendly way. I already bought the product but that's an area I'd pay to see some development in. Like right click on the device tree see the driver for "google whatsaphone" and export it in a way that I can manually install later.

Anyone know any good driver grabbers ?

sorry if I am rambling I do that when I'm sleepy.

Back