Can someone explain to me the preset concepts of Auto-Saved/Append/Overwrite?

Sonicmojo

Been doing a deep series of new Win 10/Win 11 isos for 2024 - and one thing has really been annoying me about preset management in NT Lite.

When I was testing the finer points of my Win 10 Pro build - I load up my genuine MS Windows ISO, NT Lite preps the environment and when it displays the standard build "categories" along the left-hand panel - I then highlight my "go-to" NAMED master preset (under Presets on the right panel) and choose Load - I then get a choice of Append OR Overwrite. I usually choose Append and carry on.

Now the annoying part - AFTER spending 20 minutes working on my config and then finally clicking Apply - and then waiting for 10 more minutes while the ISO is being built - NT Lite finally wraps up - I go back to Start and see a super annoying "Auto-saved 303e6181" preset file sitting at the top of the Preset list.

Now - I know what this is - and it's (intended) purpose (I think) - but if NT Lite "auto creates" this preset - every bloody time I do a build - what is the point of choosing Overwrite or Append on the preset that I consider to be my master? Matter of fact - why load any preset at all?

Why can't NT Lite just do its thing and NOT ever create an "auto-saved" preset and just write all the changes I just made in the session to the Master (named) preset that I specifically loaded at the start of this session and be done with it?

This "auto-saved" thing drives me batty since I am now questioning - is ALL the work I just did - JUST in this "auto-saved" preset - OR (because I specifically loaded MY chosen preset at the beginning of the session) - are my changes written back to that preset? Or are my changes written to both?

I need a clear explanation as to the "point" of creating yet another confusing "auto-saved" preset and why NT Lite does not just save all changes to the preset I loaded at the start of the session to keep preset management to minimum while ensuring all changes are correct captured for next session.

Thanks

Sonic.

NTLite creates an auto-saved preset (by default) when you apply changes. If you prefer not to keep auto-saves, uncheck it from NTLite's settings.

There is no way NTLite knows when it's the right time to auto-save if you're in the middle of making preset edits. So it doesn't. You're expected to save your working session at the right time, if you're in the habit of making and discarding changes all the time.

Auto-save is there for beginners who frequently forget to save their preset when making their first ISO's. Otherwise they have to start all over again purely based on memory.

There is no way NTLite knows when it's the right time to auto-save if you're in the middle of making preset edits. So it doesn't. You're expected to save your working session at the right time, if you're in the habit of making and discarding changes all the time.

OK - cool on the "auto-save" for beginners bit - makes complete sense.

But to my main question - and here is great example:

2023-12-04_08-49-26.png

Moments ago - I loaded my current "Win 11 Pro" master preset (1) and made a series of minor edits and hit Apply. ISO created. All good.

And of course - because the Auto Saves option is still on - NT Lite creates a new "Auto Save" file and parks it at the top of the preset list. BUT - note the Last Change column - even tho I loaded MY master and want all the changes I just made - added to the Master - it appears (at least in this screencap) that nothing has been updated in my template and a new one (the auto=-saved one) presumably is now holding my latest edits (See Last Change).

Now - because my master was ignored and the Auto Saved has what is most current - I have to ditch my master and rename the Auto-Save to BE the new master - which is a huge hassle.

Q1 - will I get what I am asking for if I turn OFF the Auto Save option - as in - my actual preset i loaded (WIN11-23H2PROV2) gets a new Last change timestamp and has all my changes?

Q2 - Any ideas on what Preset->Load->Overwrite (OR Append) actually do?

Cheers

Sonic

1. Again, NTLite doesn't know if you wanted to save your changes to the last loaded preset. Here's a real world example of why it's done:

Someone asks why their custom image is failing, and posts their preset. I load the preset into NTLite, and guess which fixes are required. After making adjustments, a new test image is created. In this case, I don't want the preset to be auto-updated. This test run might fail and I'll have to start over again with the unchanged preset.

Now you might not agree this is the proper behavior, but NTLite tends to be conservative and not destroy any work by wiping out a saved preset. This is why the auto-save creates a random filename every time.

2. Presets can be merged by first loading one preset (or using your current session), and then right-menu loading another preset. NTLite asks whether you want to overwrite or append the second preset. Append means only add items which do not already appear in the current session, and overwrite ignores that protection by replacing any existing items from the second preset.

You can do this for several presets in a row. The traditional best practice for managing presets is to split your project into distinct roles, so you can better isolate one section for testing purposes.
- 1st add optional Language Packs​
- 2nd add updates, and Features on Demand​
- 3rd remove components or Features​
- 4th apply Settings and imported reg files, enable Unattended mode and add Post-Setup commands​

By appending successive layers, we can build confidence in the merged preset since the first steps pose the least risk in breaking the image, and the last steps normally trigger the most install or usability problems.

1. Again, NTLite doesn't know if you wanted to save your changes to the last loaded preset. Here's a real world example of why it's done:

Someone asks why their custom image is failing, and posts their preset. I load the preset into NTLite, and guess which fixes are required. After making adjustments, a new test image is created. In this case, I don't want the preset to be auto-updated. This test run might fail and I'll have to start over again with the unchanged preset.

Now you might not agree this is the proper behavior, but NTLite tends to be conservative and not destroy any work by wiping out a saved preset. This is why the auto-save creates a random filename every time.

2. Presets can be merged by first loading one preset (or using your current session), and then right-menu loading another preset. NTLite asks whether you want to overwrite or append the second preset. Append means only add items which do not already appear in the current session, and overwrite ignores that protection by replacing any existing items from the second preset.

You can do this for several presets in a row. The traditional best practice for managing presets is to split your project into distinct roles, so you can better isolate one section for testing purposes.
- 1st add optional Language Packs​
- 2nd add updates, and Features on Demand​
- 3rd remove components or Features​
- 4th apply Settings and imported reg files, enable Unattended mode and add Post-Setup commands​

By appending successive layers, we can build confidence in the merged preset since the first steps pose the least risk in breaking the image, and the last steps normally trigger the most install or usability problems.

Garlin

Awesome info - exactly what I was looking for. This is like - a total eye opener for me - especially the concept of Append and Overwrite - which of course I completely misunderstood in the first place based on this post.

1. NOW - I get it and this makes complete sense and yes - I DO agree with how this works - now that I understand it :)

2. THANK YOU for the explanation on Append and Overwrite. I had NO idea what these meant or that I could merge anything - always assumed that the preset that I just loaded IS the one I could Overwrite or Merge - which really made no sense - hence my massive confusion.

Did some good learning here today - thanks again.

Sonic.

Back