Can Superfetch/Prefetch/Indexing harm SSDs lifespan?

lockorocko

Thera are so many misinformation about this topic on internet. I am using the latest W10. Should I disable them?

they shouldnt affect ssd life span. superfetch and prefetch and just means to speed up load times. hdd seek times are usually around 8ms, ssd 2ms. disable them and see if there is a noticable difference or not, my guess is you wont.

i always disable search and indexing because i use a 3rd party file search tool that is way faster and better than ms's own poor offering.

what you should be considering is the sheer amount of space hogging, caching and file logging windows does, see this topic where ultraform had similar concerns.

Last edited:
they don't. trust me. you can find there are lots of tests on youtube. there are write/read tests on that keeps going on for years. and their speeds did not change a bit.

ssds generally say that they have "x" year of lifespan or "y" times write/read... they are actually much much higher than that as u can see from tests.. those tests passed the recommended write/read counts.

so don't bother disabling much. todays hardware can easly handle any service microsoft has running at background. disabling can be even more harmful than benefit

Back