Can Windows Defender be safely removed without ill effect?

Yes.

I recently found out removing them will prevent the use of some security features like hello face and the fingerprint scanner on my laptop. Removing them won't hurt, but will make the system vulnerable and open to attack. I shouldn't have to explain that though. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes.

I recently found out it will prevent you from using many security features like hello face. My thumbprint scanner on my laptop won't work without it. It just depends on if you want to use any feature set that requires it. Otherwise it won't hurt the system, but it will be vulnerable and open to attack. I shouldn't have to explain that though. :cool:

TBH I'm more worried about windows defender or windows bitlocker attacking my system and would prefer to replace them with applications "I" control. in terms of security meh.. windows is unsecurable so why waste the cpu resources failing at it.

So removal may break things like fingerprint scanners those may be needed in the future so it seems I'll unfortunately have to leave it in for compatibility reasons darn...

Thanks for the answer ^_^

Defender on 1809 wipes out any files it dont like and royally screwed me several times during a brain fart.
got my ownback though(of sorts), use dvd's or disable with a bat file.
Defender turned out to be more dangerous that anything i have lurking on my storage drive :mad:

KaptanJackSparrow if you cant remove, disable(test 1st though).

Last edited:
Defender on 1809 wipes out any files it dont like and royally screwed me several times during a brain fart.
got my ownback though(of sorts), use dvd's or disable with a bat file.
Defender turned out to be more dangerous that anything i have lurking on my storage drive :mad:

KaptanJackSparrow if you cant remove, disable(test 1st though).
Absolutely I'm going to disabled it, I consider it unexploded ordinances inside the computer, I'd like to remove it but don't want to break compatibility with something down the line, I will NEVER use is for what it is, it's what it links to and what depends on it that's the problem.

i have a "1809 defender killer" bat file somewhere that totally shut it down, i'll dig it out.

found it, them actually, not far of about 50(mebbe more), need to find which one is the newer one. :rolleyes:
have to be careful cos 1 setting(driver service) breaks install but is ok applying post install. if defender has run you will need to clean out the scan data in defender - program data, gains between 200 and 500mb. might be 500mb is you disabble search and clean out that folder too.

edit - right, this isnt the droids, oops, file i was looking for but it will do.
this is for defender on ltsc(1809), do not run asis on any other build number, use for information porpoises only. there are a couple of shell contect menu entries somewhere, i'll diggemout. i have to run this file elevated from POwer Run. have fun.

ahh, be careful about cleaning out the program data folders, mount an untouched iso and compare files and folders to the install to see what can be removed. i delete because i never use the bloody thing.

Attachments

• LTSC-DISABLE-WINDOWS-DEFENDER-V6.cmd.txt
    3.9 KB
Last edited:
found it, them actually, not far of about 50(mebbe more), need to find which one is the newer one. :rolleyes:
have to be careful cos 1 setting(driver service) breaks install but is ok applying post install. if defender has run you will need to clean out the scan data in defender - program data, gains between 200 and 500mb. might be 500mb is you disabble search and clean out that folder too.

edit - right, this isnt the droids, oops, file i was looking for but it will do.
this is for defender on ltsc(1809), do not run asis on any other build number, use for information porpoises only. there are a couple of shell contect menu entries somewhere, i'll diggemout. i have to run this file elevated from POwer Run. have fun.

ahh, be careful about cleaning out the program data folders, mount an untouched iso and compare files and folders to the install to see what can be removed. i delete because i never use the bloody thing.

Thanks I'll analyze this and see how it works/ be modified to work on my specialized setups.

stuff chocolate, send "more fags fruitcake and pile ointment" - S Milligan.

Alas I'm a pirate that runs on chocolate so that's all I'm able to offer lol

be careful about cleaning out the program data folders, mount an untouched iso and compare files and folders to the install to see what can be removed. i delete because i never use the bloody thing.
do the same for Search is you disable it. if you need a file search utility use Everything by voidtools.

Last edited:
From what I've diligently researched, It seems that removing or completely disabling Win. Defender as it is now, is virtually impossible, since neither the creator, nor any higher-level experienced users have responded to any of the latest posts about it, including mine; I prematurely posted an incorrect answer to my own question recently, because it ended up not working for me.

Let me point-out that personally, I only wish to disable, NOT remove Win. Defender in Win. 10,, since removing IT, or any other component in my opinion, can be far too risky an option for a Win. 10 system that's now even more complex in it's inter-dependancies; I'm afraid that the days of safely & successfully using NTlite or other such tools as a "debloater" & ending up with a working Win. 10 installation, is long gone.

Let's hope that a solution for at least disabling it without having to install another anti-virus program will be forthcoming sooner than later, because at this time, nothing other than installing mbam (which will automatically disable it), will do the trick.
4-19-21

From what I've diligently researched, It seems that removing or completely disabling Win. Defender as it is now, is virtually impossible, since neither the creator, nor any higher-level experienced users have responded to any of the latest posts about it, including mine; I prematurely posted an incorrect answer to my own question recently, because it ended up not working for me.
I must have missed it, what's wrong with Defender removal with latest versions of the tool?
Other than skschatzman's report about the fingerprint scanner, which would need to be confirmed that it is tied to Defender only, I'm open for further reports to see any patterns before bothering anyone with tests.

In other words, what is it that disabling the Defender is different from removing it, which malware still gets detected?
All I see is the negative of disabling, it must have an app running in the background killing Defender processes when they reenable themselves, to me it's cleaner to remove and never missed anything - but that is why I have your feedback to correct my assumptions.

I am interested in locking down my system as much as possible - without the Defender scanning of all accessed files or reporting to the cloud.
Potentially this page might come in handy when testing disabling vs removing of entire package.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't see any difficulties in disabling Defender just enable a group policy with gpedit.msc in version 21H1. In 1909 you need to disable tamper protection at the security center before applying the group policy.

And I have no problem on my PC after removing Defender with NTLite.

It an be disabled and removed. Download a program ExecTi. Open it, enter regedit.exe. In the registry navigate to Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\. Look for Sense, WdNisDrv, WdNisSvc, and WinDefend. In each key theres a "Start"double click it and enter 4. Reboot. And defender is disabled. I haven't had defender enabled in like 4 years. it's the biggest cause of why windows sucks, is laggy, my game stutters. Disable that sh*t. Theres better sh*t out there. Fact I haven't run a antivirus or antimalware program ever. Know what your downloading, or opening extracting, or clicking on. Don't keep important sh*t on the pc you use. Get offsite storage for that. Install games to a 2nd hard drive. This way you can wipe windows any time and just have to install a couple of drivers and launchers instead of gigs of downloads. bobs your uncle. Windows is so much better when you take microsoft out of it.

Back