Can't do an Upgrade Installation with NTLite Build

stevea

Hello:
I would like to use my NTLite Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 build to do upgrade installations on existing Win 10 Pro x64 machines.

If I mount the created CD and start setup.exe by double-clicking, it only allows the option of doing a clean installation.

Using commandline: D:\setup.exe /auto upgrade returns the error:
"An unknown command-line option [/auto] was specified."
If I do command: setup.exe /? the /auto switch is listed along with the three expected options.

I did use the option of Trimming Editions so only Win 10 Pro x64 is available. Could this cause this behavior, or where else would you suggest I look?

Thank you in advance for your help.
--
Steve A.

Command-line option /auto is reserved for when you boot WinPE, and run Setup from a CMD shell.

On a live system, disable your anti-virus and just run D:\setup.exe
For in-place upgrades, Windows will expect the same image edition as the current host (Home/Pro/Enterprise).

I had this issue once, don't remember why or if I reinstalled, I think it's something broken/unsupported with the host.
"/auto upgrade" is a legit switch.
It might have something with deleting all the temporary Setup files from before, not sure.

Search on the web, this is a Windows issue. Let us know if you figure it out.
As for only Clean, first see why the Auto Upgrade is broken.

Thank you both for your quick replies! Got me searching, and I think I might have found what was happening in this situation.

A running NTLite build that I wanted to do an in-place upgrade on has been through Windows Update cycles and is current as of this writing, but my newly tweaked NTLite install is *not* current on patches. So; setup.exe thought I was trying to do an OS rollback, and choked.

In the \Sources folder of the Install CD image, there is an executable "setupprep.exe". I made sure the machine had an internet connection, then instead of running setup.exe in the root, I ran setupprep.exe by double-clicking.

The first thing it did was come to an updates screen where it got patches current. Then it proceeded, and I ended up at the expected Upgrade screen where you can decide "What to Keep". After that the in-place upgrade worked as expected.

Evidently in earlier Windows versions "setupprep.exe" was named "installprep.exe" -- MS renamed it somewhere along the way.

Cheers!

Back