Completely Remove Storage Sense

PhsMu

I was doing my stuff on a NLited Windows, when my temporary disk got 'red' (less than 10% space remaining, IIRC), and I got a message saying the 'Storage Sense' auto-activated and would look for delete-able stuff.

I absolutely abhor the idea of losing data just because windows thinks I don't need something I've not accessed for a month or two isn't needed. Is there any way of completely removing that 'feature' (more like curse if you ask me) from the installation image or we can only mitigate its effects with tweaks?

Storage Sense is not a removable feature. You can tweak it, or disable by group policy.
If Storage Sense is turned on with the default settings, it will run when your device is low on disk space and will clean up unnecessary temporary files. Content from the Recycle Bin will be deleted by default after some time, but items in your Downloads folder and OneDrive (or any other cloud provider) will not be touched unless you set up Storage Sense to do so.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\StorageSense]
"AllowStorageSenseGlobal"=dword:000000000

There's a few other settings under StorageSense. I'd look at setting them all if need be.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Storage sense

storage-sense-gpedit-allow-policy-windows-10-1903.jpg

Luckily i ain got this on 1809.

Last edited:
I was doing my stuff on a NLited Windows, when my temporary disk got 'red' (less than 10% space remaining, IIRC), and I got a message saying the 'Storage Sense' auto-activated and would look for delete-able stuff.

I absolutely abhor the idea of losing data just because windows thinks I don't need something I've not accessed for a month or two isn't needed. Is there any way of completely removing that 'feature' (more like curse if you ask me) from the installation image or we can only mitigate its effects with tweaks?
Should be in the component "Storage Service", but you can also configure it via the Settings page, look for "Storage Sense" entries.

Should be in the component "Storage Service", but you can also configure it via the Settings page, look for "Storage Sense" entries.
When you remove Storage Service, you'll lose Storage Spaces (software RAID).
The explanation for Spaces can be shortened to "Enable features for software RAID and logical volumes".

Last edited:
When you remove Storage Service, you'll lose Storage Spaces (software RAID).
The explanation for Spaces can be shortened to "Enable features for software RAID and logical volumes".
Thanks, I just copied the Windows official service description.

Before any changes, it's a bit more complex:
The literal Software RAID is a Disk Management feature, it does not depend on Storage Service.
To enable switch disk type to Dynamic and choose its other dynamic Mirror as a simplest example.

Storage Spaces is more like a flexible software RAID, disks don't need to be of the same size and has other advantages.
MS description:
"Storage Spaces is a technology in Windows and Windows Server that can help protect your data from drive failures. It is conceptually similar to RAID, implemented in software. You can use Storage Spaces to group three or more drives together into a storage pool and then use capacity from that pool to create Storage Spaces."

Storage Spaces is a component on its own under Storage Service, of course as always when removing, make sure to check what is being removed.

Here's a better MS wording:

-> Storage Spaces provides fault tolerance to virtual disks using distributed, software-defined RAID.
We are in agreement, I'm just adding to it that software RAID has 2 meanings here.
Disk management old style, "normal" software RAID, and the expanded Storage Spaces software RAID.
More importantly the disk management RAID is not dependent on Storage Service, I tested by removing it.

Back