Components List and Two Questions

netefu

I don't understand the purpose of some components by reading their NTLite notes or seaching about them on the internet. Can someone help me understand in layman terms what they do and what would break if they are removed? (PS: I want to break things bothering my privacy, expecting zero phoning home without breaking essential functions)

It's a long list, so I will donate 5$ in bitcoin to people who can help.

COMPONENTS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MULTIMEDIA
  • Windows TIFF IFilter
NETWORK
  • Extensible Authentication Protocol
    • Virtual Private Nework Support (Why can I still use vpn with these removed?)
  • Internet Protocol Helper
  • NDIS User Mode I/O driver
    • Wired Autoconfig
  • Radio Management and Airplane Mode Service
  • Web Services on Devices API
    • WebClient
REMOTING AND PRIVACY
  • Connected Devices Platform User Service
  • IKE and AuthIP IPsec keying modules
    • IPsec Policy Agent
  • MMGA MAPI
  • NDIS Packet Capturing
  • Packet Monitor
  • Simple Network Management Protocol
  • Web Account Manager
SYSTEM
  • Windows Identity Foundation (under NET framework core)
  • Application Virtualization
  • Device Experience
  • File Revocation Manager
  • Microsoft Data Access Components
  • User Experience Virtualization

TWO QUESTIONS

Question 1:
Which components on the list below is better to be kept even if you don't use Windows Store, any UWP apps or Microsoft Edge?
  • App Readiness
  • Capability Access
  • DevQuery Background Discovery Broker
  • Browser Brokers (I guess this was breaking things when removed?)
  • Data Sharing Service
  • One Core UAP Common Proxy Stub
    • Modern App Support
  • System Apps
    • AAD.Broker Plugin
    • AccountsControl
    • AppResolverUX
    • AsyncTextService
    • CredDialogHost
    • ECApp
    • OOBENetworkCaptivePortal
    • OOBENetworkConnectionFlow
    • Win32WebViewHost

Question 2: Can I remotely connect to a normal Windows computer when I keep Remote Desktop Client while I remove Remote Desktop Server and Windows Remote Management?

Last edited:
Can you disable "Extensible Authentication Protocol" and still use wifi and internet ?

I disabled this no effect on my machine :
  • Connected Devices Platform User Service

Last edited:
I'll try to help a bit.

I don't understand the purpose of some components by reading their NTLite notes or seaching about them on the internet. Can someone help me understand in layman terms what they do and what would break if they are removed?

COMPONENTS
MULTIMEDIA
  • Windows TIFF IFilter - It is used for character recognition in images
NETWORK
  • Extensible Authentication Protocol
    • Virtual Private Nework Support (Why can I still use vpn with these removed?) - It is used for setting a VPN without a third party app/program
  • Internet Protocol Helper - Used by other programs to retrieve network info
  • NDIS User Mode I/O driver - Don't really know if this is a user dialog but the driver can't be removed (search for ndisuio in Components' Toolbar, read the extra info on the right: Explicit removal not supported)
    • Wired Autoconfig - Related to secure connections (when set user and password that can access to network/computer or certificates instead of user and password)
  • Radio Management and Airplane Mode Service - Used for enabling or disabling wireless devices (Bluetooth/WiFi)
  • Web Services on Devices API
    • WebClient - Used for accessing online shared folders (organizations or team work groups that share files)
REMOTING AND PRIVACY
  • Connected Devices Platform User Service - There are some apps that you can use in your phone and get to the computer and keep working on the computer
  • IKE and AuthIP IPsec keying modules
    • IPsec Policy Agent
  • MMGA MAPI - If I'm not wrong, this is Windows messenger, not the already gone MSN Messenger, used for send messages to other machines connected in the same network, I never used nor intended to use popup messagging, isn't a text chat client.
  • NDIS Packet Capturing - This is a logger for network activity monitoring, open Task manager and find the network related information there
  • Packet Monitor - related to NDIS Packet Capturing
  • Simple Network Management Protocol - Related to collect and save the network devices settings and physical information (plug in a WiFi USB device, connect to WiFi network and set WiFi password, remove, plug back in and you won't need to set WiFi password again)
  • Web Account Manager - Save credentials used for accessing internet/intranet sites/services (mail, "social" networks, streaming platforms) and later used by third party apps/programs
SYSTEM
  • Windows Identity Foundation (link) (under NET framework core) - While I can't really explain, this is used exclusively by based .NET programs
  • Application Virtualization
  • Device Experience - This "Collect and learn" the most used actions you do when you connect a device and show options or it wont show any option if manufacturer software is installed, depending on device type (touchpad, speakers, webcam, touchscreens, digitizers and more)
  • File Revocation Manager
  • Microsoft Data Access Components - Used by old programs for accessing legacy "Ms data" some programs are still used because the company is gone now or the software is discontinued
  • User Experience Virtualization

TWO QUESTIONS

Question 1:
Which components on the list below is better to be kept even if you don't use Windows Store, any UWP apps or Microsoft Edge? - I don't use Apps (settings is an exception)
  • App Readiness - Some of the first components removed
  • Capability Access
  • DevQuery Background Discovery Broker - This "always looking" for new devices - for Apps keep it if you use Apps that need or will need new devices, probably related to Connected Devices Platform User Service, Device Experience and User Experience Virtualization (together)
  • Browser Brokers (I guess this was breaking things when removed?) - Have you seen errors in Apps or third party browsers?
  • Data Sharing Service - Some of the first components removed, I don't want shared data between Apps
  • One Core UAP Common Proxy Stub - Remove if no Apps are going to be installed later.
    • Modern App Support - Remove if no Apps are going to be installed later.
  • System Apps
    • AAD.Broker Plugin - Would be needed by Windows Store and Xbox App/games
    • AccountsControl - Just in case a Windows Store App that needs it, is installed
    • AppResolverUX - Not really sure but I keep it, these UX things are related to the App behavior
    • AsyncTextService - This is related to touchscreen keyboard
    • CredDialogHost - Username and password popup for Apps
    • ECApp - This is Eye Control, an accessibility app, I always remove it.
    • OOBENetworkCaptivePortal - Some of the first components removed
    • OOBENetworkConnectionFlow - Some of the first components removed
    • Win32WebViewHost - needed to show Web content in Apps, there are some apps that show web content loaded from the web

Question 2: Can I remotely connect to a normal Windows computer when I keep Remote Desktop Client while I remove Remote Desktop Server and Windows Remote Management? - You should without a problem but my choice is remove it and use Teamviewer, haven't used remoting for long time now

Last edited:
Hey Kasual, it helps a lot, ty.
PM me your btc address for 5$ btc ;)
Can we elaborate on some of the components?

1- Internet Protocol Helper - Used by other programs to retrieve network info
Is there an example of a program that doesn't work without this IPHelper?

2- Wired Autoconfig - Plug the network cable to router or modem and it will autonegotiate and set an IP
So DHCP itself does not assign you an IP without this?

3-
WebClient - Used for accessing online shared folders
Ok for WebClient but wondering what might break when I remove it's parent Web Services on Devices API (WSDAPI).

Last edited:
Can we elaborate on some of the components?

I don't know any as I don't rely on this but I'll try to give you an example, years ago, there were browser shells (Maxthon is one of them) that used IE engine for web browsing, by removing the IE engine, the third party browser shells become useless, but there were already browsers like Opera and Firefox with its own browser engine making safe to remove the IE engine for web browsing. There are programs that don't rely on IP Helper.

2- Wired Autoconfig - Plug the network cable to router or modem and it will autonegotiate and set an IP
So DHCP itself does not assign you an IP without this?
There is some misinformation, I can't really explain on this but here is a link that can clarify about it.

3- WebClient - Used for accessing online shared folders
Ok for WebClient but wondering what might break when I remove it's parent Web Services on Devices API (WSDAPI).
I can't confirm on this but WSDAPI would be necessary for OneDrive, I don't use cloud storage. Over 15 years ago I tried XDrive, later bought by AOL (and disappeared), XDrive was used as another local drive in Windows Explorer and accessible for programs but all stored online.
As I don't use web services, I can't give you a list of affected/non affected cloud storage programs.
Not sure if this helps, right now I'm "going to Morpheus arms".

Microsoft Edge when connected via Ethernet cable - but not WiFi

• IKE and AuthIP IPsec keying modules - might be needed for WiFi and definitely for Cellular connection
SYSTEM
  • Device Experience - windows 10 won't boot up without it!

TWO QUESTIONS

Question 1:
Which components on the list below is better to be kept even if you don't use Windows Store, any UWP apps or Microsoft Edge?
  • App Readiness - needed for Out of Box Experience/unattended setup
  • Capability Access - needed for Out of Box Experience/unattended setup
  • Browser Brokers - needed for Edge and maybe other browsers
  • System Apps
    • AAD.Broker Plugin - Chromium Edge
    • AccountsControl - Chromium Edge
Question 2: Can I remotely connect to a normal Windows computer when I keep Remote Desktop Client while I remove Remote Desktop Server and Windows Remote Management?

Not sure about "connecting from" windows, but if you want to "connect to" a stripped windows then you need at least these:
Remoting and Privacy > Remote Desktop Server
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KeyIso" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
Multimedia > Image Color Management (ICM) > Display Policy Service

Back