Confused - Please clarify the order NTLite processes things

Pozidriv

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but because of the way the NTLite UI shows the different sections in the left margin, I guess I assumed that was the way things were processed, i.e Integrate > Remove > Configure > Automate. Until an hour ago I don't think I'd ever given it any thought.

I normally create an ISO one section at a time, then stop, and reload the image (I think I read about that here). I do this in the order the sections are presented on the left, and I've typically been getting some minor error/warning message boxes pop up during the Configure Features step of the processing that always say "Operation requires missing files," as you can see in the attached image.

I just created a quick ISO to troubleshoot a driver issue, and I did it in one fell swoop and not one section at a time. I was just kind of daydreaming and staring at the screen while the processing was going on, and noticed that the processing order actually showed Configure > Remove > Integrate > Automate. In other words, Configure and Integrate switched places.

So now I'm wondering if it's user error on my part to create ISO's as I have been? Since I'm only doing one section at a time I'm forcing NTLite to Integrate before Remove, and Remove before Configure, where apparently it wants to do it in the opposite order. Please explain. Thanks.

Capture.PNG 3Capture.PNG

The different task "light bulbs" may change color to indicate a start, but they finish at different times. If you're not sure what's happening, read the NTLite.log which runs in order of execution.

NTLite's normal rules for processing images:

Add -> Subtract -> Tweak
- apply features & updates, drivers (Integrate)​
- remove components (Remove)​
- integrate registry changes [Registry & Settings] (Configure)​
- add Post-Setup items (Automate)​
- add unattended (Automate)​

You can do the same work manually, one step at a time, but follow this order for consistency. The error is saying NTLite can't integrate those features because the required components were already removed (Remove, then Integrate).

Thanks. I checked the log, and for this ISO it did do things in the order that showed on the screen (that I circled), so it Configured, then Removed, then Integrated. I suppose this could change though depending on how much you were doing on a particular ISO creation? I created this ISO because of a driver issue. I chose to remove 1 component only because I wanted to see the order of processing.

Regarding the error about the components already being removed - that's why I was questioning the order I was doing things. I was wondering if I had Configured (disabled/turned off) the features and then Removed, perhaps I wouldn't have seen the error message.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but because of the way the NTLite UI shows the different sections in the left margin, I guess I assumed that was the way things were processed, i.e Integrate > Remove > Configure > Automate. Until an hour ago I don't think I'd ever given it any thought.
Hi,

thanks for the feedback, the goal is to be intuitive indeed.

I normally create an ISO one section at a time, then stop, and reload the image (I think I read about that here). I do this in the order the sections are presented on the left, and I've typically been getting some minor error/warning message boxes pop up during the Configure Features step of the processing that always say "Operation requires missing files," as you can see in the attached image.
May I ask why not all in one go?
The goal is to have all in one preset and the tool sorts the operations for you.
If a Feature config is missing files, potentially a removed component in a prior session without Servicing Stack compatibility enabled.

I just created a quick ISO to troubleshoot a driver issue, and I did it in one fell swoop and not one section at a time. I was just kind of daydreaming and staring at the screen while the processing was going on, and noticed that the processing order actually showed Configure > Remove > Integrate > Automate. In other words, Configure and Integrate switched places.
Configure part has 4 sub-sections, some are appropriate at different stages than the other.
Like Features to not lock some files for updating are done after the updates, and some are for after removals and integrations to be the last statement, like Settings.
Basically the sections are more important for the tool's UI navigation, than it is for Apply progress.
I will think about breaking it into the same sequence, maybe by removing sections altogether, while working on tabs for better grouping per page, already in the planning.

So now I'm wondering if it's user error on my part to create ISO's as I have been? Since I'm only doing one section at a time I'm forcing NTLite to Integrate before Remove, and Remove before Configure, where apparently it wants to do it in the opposite order. Please explain. Thanks.

View attachment 9327 View attachment 9326
Yes, no need to bother about that, the tool will sort it by the best known practices, and if you see an order processing mistake and prove differently, it will get fixed.

Thanks, Nuhi. I can't honestly tell you why I started making my ISO's one section at a time. I thought I read about it here, but wherever I read it, I came across it by accident, so I doubt I'd ever be able to find that forum post again.

Your tool has been around long enough that I'm sure simply using it it as intended is the best way to do it, so I'll go back to doing it that way.

Back