Cumulative Update for Windows 10 always failed to install

gjalleri

Whenever I create an ISO with cumulative updates they always install fine but when the next cumulative update install through windows update they always failed to install.
My preset has a cumulative updates of December 2017 but 2018 cumulative update unable to be installed windows update.

Attachments

• Auto-saved session {46AB3FBD-7D0E-4865-8420-D2FEA56A86A0}.xml
    42 KB
Thanks for your feedback, will try it today and report back.

OK, so I tested your exact preset (1607 LTSB), made an image and installed.
Then installed in two cases the latest CU at this moment KB4056890, once as the pre-downloaded MSU file (the recommended way), and over WU directly (may trigger Delta download which may not work due to removed components), it worked in both cases.

I did use the latest pre-released version to save time, so please wait until tomorrow's release to try. There was a significant fix in leftovers which may have fixed it.
You can easily make a Host Refresh with the latest cumulative update + fresh ISO + preset to get the system to an updatable state for next month, without needing to reinstall all of the apps.

Btw, when integrating servicing stacks, Adobe Flash updates, or cumulative updates, only the latest version is needed, it contains all of the fixes of the previous one.
I noticed you have the multiple of each in your preset, but I did test as you gave it to me in hopes it would trigger the issue.

Thanks.

So, even though I'm not a Win10 user, perhaps NTLite should do a "sanity check" to ensure that users are not loading repetitive (i.e., older) updates? (Yet another feature. Will it ever end?)

Last edited:
The reason why I don't like Host Refresh is that it takes time and the 2nd reason was when I'm formatting my friends computer of course WU is the way to update CU, and since I only have single license Host Refresh is not an option. Although I do understand that I only have single license and using NTLite images to other PC might violate the license usage.

Anyway I also can't trigger the manual local account creation on after wim installation using that preset, can you please check that as well thanks!

...and since I only have single license Host Refresh is not an option. Although I do understand that I only have single license and using NTLite images to other PC might violate the license usage.

* marked licenses are for personal use only
A license is valid for one user and can activate on up to 5 machines on which the tool runs on. You can edit unlimited number of images.
Activation can be backed up, independent of Windows installation.

You can edit images for friends or family and install NTLite on up to 5 machines of your own.

More info:
https://www.ntlite.com/shop/

@pmikep, it's not easy to detect updates containing other updates, and I don't want to do any explicit rules.
It's all packages within packages. Also no harm done if integrated one after another, but it does test the MS implementation to the max, plus wastes persons time and disk space.

@gjalleri, understandable. Btw Host Refresh wizard works on a free license as well, but yeah full Windows Update support is a priority. I was just referring when you need to fix something with newer NTLite, there is a way without reinstalling all the apps from scratch.

What's exactly is wrong with user account creation? I don't have the install any more to quickly test from settings I presume.
Btw you can use net user command as well.

@nuhi
Yep I've been doing net user creation for a while but you see when you have an fresh install OS, the username was already created by the unattended.xml but when you use unmodified OS you can actually create an a Microsoft account or local user account before going to desktop. What I want is to be able to trigger the local user creation before going to desktop.

It's it's not possible maybe we can just trigger the command prompt before going to desktop for net user creation and for other purposes like going to audit mode.

Yep I've been doing net user creation for a while but you see when you have an fresh install OS, the username was already created by the unattended.xml but when you use unmodified OS you can actually create an a Microsoft account or local user account before going to desktop. What I want is to be able to trigger the local user creation before going to desktop.

Just don't set SkipWelcomeCenter option to true (leave it by default) or set it to false in the Unattended page.

5930 is up, should be better (if Windows Update compatibility enabled), if you see any issues let me know.
Thanks.

Still the same though. Kindly check the updated preset.
Also the SkipWelcomeCenter to false I can't trigger the local account creation, without an local account on unattended.xml the OS will reboot endlessly.

Windows 8 x64-2018-01-16-16-46-42.pngWindows 8 x64-2018-01-16-16-47-00.png

Attachments

• Auto-saved session {46AB3FBD-7D0E-4865-8420-D2FEA56A86A0}.xml
    40.6 KB
Still the same though. Kindly check the updated preset.
Also the SkipWelcomeCenter to false I can't trigger the local account creation, without an local account on unattended.xml the OS will reboot endlessly.

Local account creation is inside Skip Online Account Setup, set it to false too or leave it by default. I didn't listed before because i'm working with 7.

@gjalleri, thanks, confirmed.
It's the Memory Diagnostics removal, will fix for the next update, until then you might want to:
- keep that component, confirmed fixing the isue
- or let me know if you want to try the pre-release fix and wait a bit
- or update via Host Refresh wizard

@nuhi
confirmed that did the trick thanks!
Can you also add in the log files which dll their removing on each components? cause I have a problem here that requiring a dll that is missing what I did is to copy the original dll back to system32 even though the dll was there already there but the program still cannot access the on the system32 directory.

Thanks for your feedback, fixed Memory Diagnostic removal in 5950, let me know if still an issue next time your reinstall.

If a program does not see the system32 file, it's highly likely it's a 32-bit program, you need the syswow64 version in that other location.

Back