Custom Image Health Validation

I don't think there is a way to prevent failures of component store and file integrity verification when too many items are removed, but having a custom attestation feature can be of great help.

In other words, taking image/"snapshot"/state of exising OS files, registry, and components and making OS (DISM, SFC) label them as healthy base to compare against future changes is what would be of help. Typical 1:1 OS drive image backup made by third party software performs attestation against the entire image, not just OS files.

Last edited:
I'm a long-tenured systems person, and have never heard the term "attestation" in regards to operating systems. Maybe drivers, because devs like throwing fancy words around to look smug.

NTLite allows great flexibility in making custom images, way more than MS intended with it's limited DISM removals.

The downside is that flexibility allows you to make more unintentional mistakes. There is no feasible way to chart every possible pitfall, because Windows keeps evolving. What may have worked in one edition is no longer valid a few releases, or updates later.

NTLite tries to address this problem with Compatibility mode, a best effort to warn you about feature dependencies. This changes over time as new bugs are reported. Does it protect you from uncharted problems? No. There's always some degree of trial & error, because MS doesn't provide a roadmap on how to properly lite Windows.

Comparing two images at the itemized level won't help you, if you're not trained to analyze the differences. I know I'm not one of the handful of reverse-engineering gurus who really understand this stuff. The best path forward for untrained folks is to share their presets and positive/negative experiences, in the hope that someone brighter (or luckier) figures out the problem.

Back