Delivery Optimization change breaks WU and Store updates on 22621.521 (22H2)

francis11

Not sure this is a NTL error.
But when change Settings\ Windows Update\ Delivery Optimization to "Windows Update and WSUS, without peering or cloudservice" WU gives error 0x080004002 on both drivers and Defender updates.
Windows Store just say: "Something went wrong on our side" when try to update the Apps installed.
Leaving Setting: Windows Update\ Delivery Optimization as default everything works fine.

Using latest NTL 2.3.8.8920 on 22000.978

Another observation in Taskmanager, there's a job called Global.Acconut during updates changing to Global.IRIS and after restart of all updates the job dissappear?

Just a suspicion, but could it have something to do with the fact that a full Windows installation from 22H2 advertises with something called CO2 friendly Windows and thus can only update via the cloud when it suits MS?

I'm using 22H2 but i just have updates to come when they drop them. it does sound like a M$ issue, because i have noticed that 'Windows Update is committed to helping reduce carbon emissions' stamp thing which i hadn't noticed before.

Currently, there isn't a GPO or reg key override to disable the "green energy" scheduling. I imagine there is one for Embedded clients who can't pick a sunny afternoon to download updates.

But MS will bask in the PR for a few months, before quietly releasing the fix.

After fiddling around all day with 22H2 (.521) I can safely say this is not NTL to blame.

From previously appended Preset I had set Service\Deliveryoptimization to Disabled and after changing this to either Manual or Automatic WU/ Store works as expected in 22H2.
Somehow i earlier mistake this service to open for peering on local network even deliveryoptimization in Settings stay blinded for any change.

So pure pebcac on my part that I didn't pay attention to this.

Just to add: It's still possible to do manuel search for both Windows Updates and Store Updates despite a windmill is not turning around

And MS's green profile is laughable.
MS is currently building a huge data center in Køge (Denmark), but will not sacrifice the costs and connect to the environmentally friendly district heating, as both FB and Apple have done with their data centers.

Well, everyone virtue signals with green washing deals.

All data centers are powered by reliable natural gas or coal, and then Silicon Valley buys offsets from green suppliers NOWHERE near their DC's.
On paper, the accounting "balances out". I have yet to see a massive DC with a solar or wind farm large enough to power it.

My point was that MS does not seem to be giving back to the surrounding communities in terms of their heat surplus to save and maybe redeem some CO2 allowances.
And this at the expense of European households' bills for heating and electricity having risen dramatically and many families suffering.
In my opinion MS is a parasite and their environmental awareness is a joke as long as they have a bottom line that satisfies the investors.

To disable Delivery Optimization completely and be able to disable the Delivery Optimization service you must use 'Bypass fully, use BITS service instead'. But it seems that this no longer works on Windows 11 and the Store stops working with this as well even on Windows 10.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...delivery-optimization-reference#download-mode

Note:
Starting in Windows 11, the Bypass option of Download Mode is no longer used.

But using 'Windows Update and WSUS, without peering, with cloud service' the Delivery Optimization service only runs when needed if it is in 'Manual'. This is the same thing as the 'HTTP Only (0)' from the article above.

The 'Windows Update and WSUS, without peering or cloud service' is the same thing as the 'Simple (99)' in the article but I've never used it.

As said leave Setting: Windows update/ Delivery optimization as Default + Services: DeliveryOptimization as Default.
WU and STORE updates works flawless.

Back