Deployment to PC question

dmil

Hi,
I'm pretty new to NTLite, having purchased it a couple days ago.
I've created a custom win10 x64 19043 installation and the end result is an iso file that is 4.9GB.
When I create a virtual machine using this as its operating system, the unattended installation works great. The virtual machine boots up with the correct version of windows and all of the options set the way I want. So far so good.

The problem is when I am copying it to a usb drive and the file is greater than 4GB.
I copy it (drive h:) to the usb stick (drive g:) using robocopy
robocopy H: G: /s /max:3800000000

When I take the usb stick to the client machine and try to boot up/install the new os, I am getting the error
Windows Setup: Windows cold not collect information for Osimage since the specified image file install.wim does not exist.

I must be doing something wrong when I copy the iso to the usb?
Thanks for any tips

dmil sounds like your usb stick is formatted to FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limit. format the usb drive to NTFS and try again.
its your install.wim file that is the actual problem, its over 4GB.

Clanger thanks for the reponse -

I tried that. I was able to copy the iso onto the usb stick. all good.
But now the pc won't boot to the NTFS formatted usb stick. It did when it was FAT32.
I have looked around in the bios for a setting to change that but don't see any.

Any way to use fat32 and split the iso into multiple files?

i have never had to split an iso, i think it may be possible. i think best bet is to try to get you to boot from NTFS first.
try Rufus 1st, if that dont work go back into your bios and do a thorough look at each page, look for a description for each setting.
once you have exhausted those options look at splitting the iso.

Clanger -following up - so I just mounted the ntfs iso file on the pc; then installed from there (it had a working o.s.). It put the existing windows in a windows.old file and installed the NTLite custom o.s. fine. And it boots up into the new o.s. just like it should.

I think I made it harder than it needed to be lol. Thanks for your help

Back