Detection of Windows 10 build NTLite

lenkarin

Hi,

I have a question that maybe is already in the program but not sure, there is a way to see which build version is from the .wim file?

Hi,

without at least decompressing files from it, no, at least not precisely.
There is some info in the WIM about the image, but it cannot be reliably used, as it's a separately set from the Windows package information itself.
Maybe adding something specific to NTLite to rely on, that could work, as it can set it each time on image save - but what if a user adds an update manually with a script and normally resaves the image, then NTLite would list it wrongly, at least until it loads an image.
That makes the tagging option not viable.

Then there is the possibility of decompressing a file or two and reading from it, potentially with a separate button to not slow down initial image list building. Performance makes this not important, but potentially a delayed background reading pass slowly populating versions could also work.

Do you often need that info before loading it, what is the scenario, often mixing up the images?
Any extra reasons aside, it would be nice to have.

Hi,

without at least decompressing files from it, no, at least not precisely.
There is some info in the WIM about the image, but it cannot be reliably used, as it's a separately set from the Windows package information itself.
Maybe adding something specific to NTLite to rely on, that could work, as it can set it each time on image save - but what if a user adds an update manually with a script and normally resaves the image, then NTLite would list it wrongly, at least until it loads an image.
That makes the tagging option not viable.

Then there is the possibility of decompressing a file or two and reading from it, potentially with a separate button to not slow down initial image list building. Performance makes this not important, but potentially a delayed background reading pass slowly populating versions could also work.

Do you often need that info before loading it, what is the scenario, often mixing up the images?
Any extra reasons aside, it would be nice to have.
I edit a ISO from windows 10 21H1 and want to check the ISO from Microsoft's website if they have updated the build or stay the same as I download a while ago. Because make 2 months windows update fails to install an update and this month I decide to reinstall with a modified version of windows, so I can integrate the updates that I got issue with NTLite and them install other updates when I finish windows installation.

If when we load the .wim we got the build version will be good, and maybe in updates tool put category for feature and security updates will be interesting.

seeing some info at updates page in ntlite would be nice
There is info on the loaded image in the tray, not sure what image on the updates page you're referring to?
Btw next version re-reads image build number after cumulative update integration.

I edit a ISO from windows 10 21H1 and want to check the ISO from Microsoft's website if they have updated the build or stay the same as I download a while ago. Because make 2 months windows update fails to install an update and this month I decide to reinstall with a modified version of windows, so I can integrate the updates that I got issue with NTLite and them install other updates when I finish windows installation.

If when we load the .wim we got the build version will be good, and maybe in updates tool put category for feature and security updates will be interesting.
Thanks for the feedback.
So you would download an ISO, extract/copy image from it and add it to the Source page.
There would like to save some time to not need to also load it, in order to see the version?
You know on load there is the listing of a version in the lower-right status bar already.
I don't think that's worth the effort for this case, best is to load it, if it's not newer, unload it.
Because the tool can then better access the versioning, it's not always clear, sometimes needs registry etc.

Spliting feature vs security updates is an obsolete notion from Windows 7/8.1 days, Win10/11 are single update only, with .NET and a few exceptions.

Hi Lenkarin,
I had several usb sticks with multiple install versions of windows 10 :) So I too was wondering if it was possible to find out what BUILD was on any particular USB - so I could use the latest one (and obvs have to install less updates) - I came across this : (Run it in a command prompt)
  • dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\install.wim /index:1
Just replace "X" with your path and voila. The build info is displayed - Hope it helps ?

Hi Lenkarin,
I had several usb sticks with multiple install versions of windows 10 :) So I too was wondering if it was possible to find out what BUILD was on any particular USB - so I could use the latest one (and obvs have to install less updates) - I came across this : (Run it in a command prompt)
Just replace "X" with your path and voila. The build info is displayed - Hope it helps ?
Hi bouldip,
I run the command and the build is specified in version?

1629421204000.png

Hi Lenkarin,

I don't think so, when you integrate updates this output will be same until you manually modify it or capture image after sysprep

Last edited:
There is info on the loaded image in the tray, not sure what image on the updates page you're referring to?
Btw next version re-reads image build number after cumulative update integration.

Thanks for the feedback.
So you would download an ISO, extract/copy image from it and add it to the Source page.
There would like to save some time to not need to also load it, in order to see the version?
You know on load there is the listing of a version in the lower-right status bar already.
I don't think that's worth the effort for this case, best is to load it, if it's not newer, unload it.
Because the tool can then better access the versioning, it's not always clear, sometimes needs registry etc.

Spliting feature vs security updates is an obsolete notion from Windows 7/8.1 days, Win10/11 are single update only, with .NET and a few exceptions.
Oh I see, I didn't take a look at the lower-right status bar hahah.

Back