Device Setup Manager and USB disk eject support

PhsMu

Just a quick note to anyone having that particular issue, but removing 'Device Setup Manager' from 'Remoting and Privacy' breaks the Safely Eject USB Drive from Notification Tray icons.

but you can still Eject from the Computer Explorer context menu yes?
Safely Eject USB Drive from Notification Tray is a bit small for me and i never use that, only from Explorer.

I admit I didn't try that. Oops? But in any case, the icon is handy, and that component is really small (0.5mb), so I guess it's worth keeping, for most people?

Disabling the Device Setup Manager service (DsmSvc) does the same thing so I believe you are right. For this reason I do not remove or disable it.

This service only runs when needed (Manual startup type by default) so there is no real gain by disabling or removing it.

but you can still Eject from the Computer Explorer context menu yes?
Yes.

that component isnt on my remove list and i like the sound you get when plug/unplug something.
i like to keep all the standard, errr, how do i explain this :oops:
ahh, usability user interface bits any user is used to and only remove what no normy would ever use or even know about.
keep it user friendly :)

disabling Task Manager service may mess up usb things, some os have device scheduled tasks and its best to keep those in my opinion.

Yup. that's basically the issue I had that had me reinstalling test machine and then making this report thread in a nutshell:

It hurts usability a lot more than it improves performance.

you can always just disable the usb notification from Taskbar settings. nuhi might have an option for that on the Settings page.

Back