DirectX 9/10/11 & Windows 10

Hello,

I sometimes use applications that still require DirectX 9, 10 or 11.

Not sure why, but they don't work under my W10 LTSC 2021 (preset attached). I made sure to integrate DirectX End-User Runtime (June 2010).

OpenGL, Vulkan & DirectX 12 based programs/games work fine.

There is a workaround called DXVK, but it is not perfect.

Running a 5950X + 64 GB DDR4@3800 Mhz + RTX 3080 and latest drivers. That PC is otherwise extremely stable.

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• v1.06.xml
    41.8 KB
  • Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-18.png
    Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-18.png
    8 KB
  • Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-32.png
    Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-32.png
    10.8 KB
  • Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-43.png
    Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-43.png
    7.9 KB
  • Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-52.png
    Bilderman 2022.09.12 12-49-52.png
    10.4 KB
This image is using a 3rd-party DirectX AIO repack. Not to imply they cause errors, but you should ask the repack devs or gaming forums if they're aware of install problems.

To confirm the problem doesn't start here, replace the DX repack with the original installers. If you still have problems, then it's DX compatibility issues and not related to the installation.

Thank you, that's something I also suspected.
Files seem to be in the good folders (System32/SysWOW64), but that repack is quite old now. I used to integrate it into my Win7 ISOs. Maybe some components do not register correctly or something like that.

Well, after further testing, it seems very unlikely that the problem is related to my NTLite preset / modifications, at least not directly.
The same ISO works on another computer with NVidia graphics (DX 9/10/11 programs can be launched).
Still need additional testing I guess...

OK, I'm back after a few days.

I reinstalled my NLited W10 about 10 days ago, original DX installers were included this time.

Everything worked fine until today. I'm getting the same errors. Yesterday it was fine, today errors pop up again. I haven't installed or changed anything in the meantime.

I also have errors about invalid signatures on a very few programs.

I know that a clean reinstall will fix the problems for a short period of time. Of course, the programs devs can't help me because I'm using a "modified" version of Windows. I'm also sure that's not a virus or anything like that.

Is there a way I can fix the signatures errors? They seem to appear at the same time as the other problems. When I check, everything looks rather normal (see screenshot).

Otherwise, all applications work fine. DX problems mainly impact a few, rather old games and signatures errors about 2/100 of my applications. I could live with that, but it is very frustrating not being able to troubleshoot these issues.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    4.2 KB
  • 02.png
    02.png
    4.8 KB
  • 03.png
    03.png
    36.1 KB
Last edited:
Is there a way I can fix the signatures errors?
Leave Windows Update service at least in Manual (not disabled) it is responsible for updating certificates. Or use this.

I don't know if that's the only thing needed. If it doesn't work, try setting the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to Manual or Automatic.

Do you use any 3rd party firewalls?

Other than that I would check the RAM and disk if they are ok, or even the motherboard. It could be a hardware issue.

Leave Windows Update service at least in Manual (not disabled) it is responsible for updating certificates. Or use this.

I don't know if that's the only thing needed. If it doesn't work, try setting the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to Manual or Automatic.

Do you use any 3rd party firewalls?

Other than that I would check the RAM and disk if they are ok, or even the motherboard. It could be a hardware issue.
Thank you for your answer.

In the meantime, I also found asheroto's Root Certificate Updater and ran it, but it didn't solve the issue, so I reinstalled the OS and it works at the moment, but that was expected.

I ran an OCCT test for 12 hours without any issue. No 3rd party firewall either.

Not sure why things go wrong after only a few days on this machine, whereas my laptops don't have this problem even after a few months (same NTLite preset, so BITS & WU services are also disabled).

I think the problem could be caused by a software I use on this PC and not on the others. I mainly suspect jv16 PowerTools to clean a bit too aggressively. I had removed it from the list of suspects because the problem does not occur immediately after a maintenance, but this is the only hypothesis I have left.

(same NTLite preset, so BITS & WU services are also disabled)
The preset only disables wuauserv (Windows Update service).

Do you disable any other services?

Anyway, it's strange to only have problems after a while.

I'm doing some tests with Windows 7 and by chance I found another service related to certificates.

- Cryptographic Services (CryptSvc)
Description:
Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files and allows new programs to be installed; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Automatic Root Certificate Update Service, which retrieves root certificates from Windows Update and enable scenarios such as SSL. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Back