[Discussion] Raspberry Pi 5 Speeds

crypticus

Hey guys I was wondering if it would make massive speed differance if I use raspberry pi 5 with sd card rather than nvme ssd (I have to find a hat for it). The point is it will be connected to my TV or home network to work as a media streaming device. I will use hard edited lite windows on it, and will run browser and stremio only.

With sd card boot time will be slower ofc but what about the process after booting up? Would sd card OS create problems for casual browsing and streaming via stremio etc? Does it worth it to get a hat and take raspberry out of its fan cooled enclosure just to fit everything on top each other to use nvme ssd?

Its hard for me to get hat also, since its so new and not available wordwide.

Last edited:
I know its enough but I would not connect any ssd via usb port if there is nvme support. This video is nice but doesn't answer any of these questions :/

I will try using samsung evo plus sd card which is class 10 and also UHS-3... Should be the fastest. I will try to get a proper hat for nvme ssd in the future when they are produced and easily reachable, thats the path I'm going to choose for now.... Ofc data storage speed is the biggest bottleneck but I hope it will be enough for lite windows operations and couple of streaming softwares

In my experience SD cards are so flimsy on power issues, that they corrupt too easily.
Best is to have a real drive attached, I was using an USB box, but that Pi Hat looks great, getting that if it works with PoE hat on top of it as well.

Back