Dism + custom

Necrosaro

Now that this option has been out for bit, what is everyone's thoughts on it that have used it. With windows 11 new update coming out soon I might want to use it for some deep cleaning of stuff certainly want to remove but wanted to get some thoughts on it before i do.

Thanks for your time

Read this post, which best answers it.
I have read that post before posting and know that it will prevent reinstallation of apps and the such do to such a deep cleaning but was hoping to know if anyone has done even the template of privacy or any other template with the deep clean and had any issues they would like to report.

Dism + custom was good when ntlite first came out, but as time goes by and Microsoft changes, this function becomes more and more useless, and the function of Ntlite is more and more like a pure dism. So, the way out of ntlite Where? Because people around me feel more and more that ntlite is useless, and dism can handle iso very well.

I have this question myself, because I have been buying this software since 2015, and I have kept most of the current versions since 1.0.0.3158. Over the years, I feel more and more that ntlite does not know where to develop.

Hope the software will develop better and better.

Who gives a flying -uck what other people think. If "x" works for you then sod what other people think.
NTLite works for me because it gives me removals dism(command line or tools that run dism) doesnt give me, uneeded keyboards languages fonts, a stripped out winsxs(40-50MB). nuhi has never just been about removals, he offers customisation at any level users need, basic driver or update integration, reg file entries, post setup, mild to maniac removals. I mean, what more do you need the tool to do? It covers everything users need, the only down doots are the limitations of ms's most bug ridden pieces of brown stuff operating systems.

My point of view is the tool does what it needs to do and when something new comes along it will do that too so providing nuhi is sucking air and not dirt we are good for a few more years at least.

Besides, as i get older im running out of s--ts to give
too old for this sh*t - Copy.jpg

And when i can get numbers like this i care even less about w7 v w10.

w7 v ltsc.jpg

Last edited:
Who gives a flying -uck what other people think. If "x" works for you then sod what other people think.
NTLite works for me because it gives me removals dism(command line or tools that run dism) doesnt give me, uneeded keyboards languages fonts, a stripped out winsxs(40-50MB). nuhi has never just been about removals, he offers customisation at any level users need, basic driver or update integration, reg file entries, post setup, mild to maniac removals. I mean, what more do you need the tool to do? It covers everything users need, the only down doots are the limitations of ms's most bug ridden pieces of brown stuff operating systems.

My point of view is the tool does what it needs to do and when something new comes along it will do that too so providing nuhi is sucking air and not dirt we are good for a few more years at least.

Besides, as i get older im running out of s--ts to give
Does this custom plus removal interfer with updates such as 22H2?

Necrosaro I dont use 22H2, w7/8.1/ltsc's 1809 and 2021(in storage) only. And they will be updated and captured images where updating will be disabled anyway.

Last edited:
For those who are sure they will never need UWP apps that come in Windows best use dism + custom, I always used it and never had problems, is the way NTite did things before or at least the result was the same. In my personal use I have never used the Store or UWP Apps, I just need Bind Filter for Nvidia's Control Panel. Even so I disable it, just keep the files.

But if you are going to make an ISO for family, friends or clients, or not sure what you need best use dism only. You never know what people will need in the future.

Only apps i know or think i will need are Intel and Nvidia Control Panels and an Amazon store app to download Prime video stuff.
Nvidia control panel is almost a "fake app" it is a win32 software ported to UWP and without dependencies, it is an exception. Most apps have dependencies but I think they install without any problems via powershell/dism or script used by installers. I think only intel doesn't provide them via installer, you need to store or use powershell/dism manually. I don't know anything about the Amazon store app.

But anyway I think that only apps that come in Windows and that need to be reinstalled can be affected by dism + custom since that should remove Windows files that those apps expect to be there so they aren't provided by the apps.

Another example of a possible problem was caused by removing Cortana in version 2004 early on, it caused the Search app to malfunction. This did not happen when removing Cortana using dism or powershell. After that nuhi fixed it. But if it's a third-party app I don't think there's any problem.

Nvidia control panel is almost a "fake app" it is a win32 software ported to UWP and without dependencies, it is an exception. Most apps have dependencies but I think they install without any problems via powershell/dism or script used by installers. I think only intel doesn't provide them via installer, you need to store or use powershell/dism manually. I don't know anything about the Amazon store app.
Fake is a bad term. Some apps like winget or HP's Support Assistant are clearly not UWP, but repackaged this way to use the Store.
By default, WU will update apps so it solves the version problem.

By default, WU will update apps so it solves the version problem.
I start with a 17763.1 iso, live update, ive notice some apps have a higher that .1 build number so some must get updated with the (.3165) CU. I'd like to find out what apps get updated online, where they get downloaded to so i can grab them and add the to my image, either live or mounted.

I start with a 17763.1 iso, live update, ive notice some apps have a higher that .1 build number so some must get updated with the (.3165) CU. I'd like to find out what apps get updated online, where they get downloaded to so i can grab them and add the to my image, either live or mounted.
I wish someone wrote a PS script to do that. :oops::rolleyes:

rg-adguard's using an API which doesn't filter on OS version, so you get every possible package. You can probably guess which ones are 1803 compatible by the release dates. The best I can figure out is have some volunteer boot every major Windows release, run Store update and dump the highest app versions for a given platform.

ive notice some apps have a higher that .1 build number so some must get updated with the (.3165) CU.
Yes system apps are updated by the CU, about normal apps I don't know, I thought they were updated by the store and without it they would be without updating.

I wish someone wrote a PS script to do that
All i know is how to get store apps with your script, i dont know how to get the built in updated apps. Yet, next on my todo list.
All i know about this apps/appx lark is its a bloody arse about face way of doing things :mad:

Last edited:
Back