Display Settings issue / pcasvc.dll errors

Desmond

Hello, I am running Window 10 Insider Preview Build 18317.1000 and Display settings are broken after I removed something with NTLite and I haven't figured out yet what is causing it, maybe somebody can figure out by taking look at my preset. I can get it to open if I click on Settings > System and wait for a while but it doesn't start immediately as it is supposed to. It's just the display part that is broken, if I right click on sound icon in task bar and chose Open Sound settings, it opens fine and all other things on the System page works fine too, just display is broken.

Also, in Event Viewer I am seeing a lot of errors about pcasvc which seems to be Program Compatibility Assistant Service.
I can see that this service is not started and when I try to start it I get "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

Code:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_PcaSvc, version: 10.0.18317.1000, time stamp: 0x94df9395
Faulting module name: pcasvc.dll, version: 10.0.18317.1000, time stamp: 0xa58f89d4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000001d080
Faulting process id: 0x480
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b0630b45ac8a
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\pcasvc.dll
Report Id: 048d4004-07bb-4608-9144-17b735419ecf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So which removal could be causing this? I thought it is Application Compatibility under System but I haven't removed that.

Thanks

Thanks Desmond.
First of all, at this point the last version the tool supports is 18309.
I'm glad that you saw now first hand what I'm dealing with during these Windows Previews, almost each Windows version upgrade breaks something.
I'm on it, expect an upgraded support sometime next week, hopefully Tuesday.

Note to self: should add a popup for the unsupported Windows builds, as it does for major versions.

I have made a new preset where I removed less things and now Display Settings work properly.

This are the things I did not remove compared to last time:

Code:
        <c>driver_c_sensor.inf</c>
        <c>driver_fusionv2.inf</c>
        <c>driver_sensorsalsdriver.inf</c>
        <c>driver_sensorshidclassdriver.inf</c>
        <c>driver_sensorsservicedriver.inf</c>
        <c>dvdplay 'DVD Play'</c>
        <c>edgehtml32 'Edge HTML Viewer (32-bit)'</c>
        <c>enterpriseclientsync 'Work Folders Client'</c>
        <c>firewall 'Windows Firewall'</c>
        <c>firstlogonanim 'First-logon animation'</c>
        <c>internetexplorer 'Internet Explorer'</c>
        <c>mediaplayer 'Windows Media Player'</c>
        <c>mediaplayer32 'Windows Media Player (32-bit)'</c>
        <c>mediaplayernetworksharing 'WMP Network Sharing Service'</c>
        <c>mediaplayernetworksharing32 'WMP Network Sharing Service (32-bit)'</c>
        <c>mobilepc_location 'Location notifications'</c>
        <c>mobilepc_networkprojection 'Network Projection'</c>
        <c>mobilepc_sensors 'Sensors'</c>
        <c>onesyncsvc 'Sync Host'</c>

If you have time maybe you can figure out which of those is exactly causing it, otherwise I will do in the next few days.

Now if I could also figure out the second issue too because event viewer is spammed with messages about PcaSvc error.

To get back to the pcasvc error, do you happen to know which removal in NTLite could be causing it?
I get over 9000 of these errors in event viewer.

Code:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_PcaSvc, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x32d6c210
Faulting module name: pcasvc.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0xd6a7fbaa
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000437c2
Faulting process id: 0x1b10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4fd3b86848adf
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\pcasvc.dll
Report Id: 5576040e-d776-4446-8c30-8fb290ff3822
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

PcaSvc is part of Application Compatibility component, do you remove or disable anything related to it?
If not, or unknown, then please attach the preset in question (if it differs from the original above).
Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know what is related to it, was hoping that you would know.
Attached latest preset.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be happening on 1809, tested by VHD Boot with the same preset and I see no errors about pcasvc. So it's happening on 1903 only :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thx Desmond for testing the pre-release, will continue search on pcasvc and report here.

Thanks for reminding me, this got moved by other tasks as 1903 was rough in general.
Now can start on specifics, moved this to the top for tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

It was the Telemetry removal, if AppCompatibility kept in a certain combination.
You can disable the "Program Compatibility Assistant Service" to stop the errors.
Fixed in next, let me know if you want a pre-release.

Thanks!

Back