[ERROR] Can't Mount install.wim on 20H2 but Can on Windows 7

tharri

I dual boot and I'm working on a 20H2 iso.

When I use NTLite in Windows 7, I am able to mount the install.wim without any problems.

When I use NTLite in 20H2, the exact same install.wim throws the following error:

error.PNG

I have gone back and forth several times. It works on Windows 7 and does not work on 20H2. I have tried restarting several times. I've also tried using different iterations of the same install.wim in the same iso project: the install.wim loads in Windows 7 but throws the above error in a freshly installed mostly stock 20H2.

Also note that the iso does install without any problems. I simply can't work on it in NTLite in 20H2.

I'm using the latest beta release as of the time of this post.

Hi tharri , have you disabled / removed Windows defender on 20h2? I had exact problems in past, but everything was solved on my side when I removed Windows Defender

Defender is disabled, but not removed. I will try removing it.

UPDATE: I removed Defender and Security Center from my work environment entirely and it still gave me the same error.

Last edited:
Potentially long path filenames are explicitly disabled?
First please set that (link).

If still the same after reboot, then the only other idea is a corrupted image, regardless that Win7 skipped over that file.
You could disable Verify files in NTLite - File - Settings before loading it.
Or even better recopy a fresh image, try another.

I tried both the skipping verification and the long path filenames and neither worked. I ended up backing up a few iterations.

So it was a potentially corrupted image after all, IF that same file is still in the image now.
Interesting that Windows 7 wasn't affected or reporting, whatever it was.
I'm assuming the same file exists in the working image as well.
I recommend returning file verification, just in case, regardless if it made any difference in this case.

If this keeps on repeating, which most probably has nothing to do with NTLite as it just calls these APIs, does not control how files are handles when saving the image,
If you use the sysprep method to capture the image, it might be advisable to reset the .NET Assembly cache, maybe reapply .NET Update or run sfc /scannow and recapture the image, to not lose changes in-between.

Last edited:
Back