Hibernate Settings in Control Panel not showing

SD-ITLab

Hello dear community,

I create a new Multi Windows ISO every month with specific settings for our company.

Recently, however, the "hibernate" settings are hidden in the control panel.

So hibernation, fastboot, etc.

I would like Fastboot to be disabled and Hibernate and Power Save to be hidden by default in the "Start Menu", but not hidden in the Control Panel.

So that the client can easily re-enable them (for whatever reason).

Is this problem due to my settings? The settings in the registry or Windows itself?

Screenshot_1.png
Attached are my preferences

Attachments

• Reg_Settings.reg
    20.6 KB
  • Windows_Tweaks.xml
    15.3 KB
Last edited:
I would export your custom power plan to a *.pow file, and use that instead of reg keys.

Post-Setup commands:
Code:
powercfg -import customer.pow
powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

powercfg -h off

Tweak to disable Quick Start:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]
"HiberbootEnabled"=dword:00000000

Remove the two NTLite settings for Shutdown menu to allow free access to the Control Panel.

Hey Garlin,

Thanks for your answer,
I have a few questions though.
1. why should i import a custom powerplan instead of registry keys?

2. [Powercfg /h off] disables exactly these options in the control panel, as far as I know.

3. which settings exactly do you mean for NTlite?

1. why should i import a custom powerplan instead of registry keys?
Power plan files are portable, you can transfer them and there's no chance you forgot to add a missing setting. To me, unless you're making a couple of tweaks -- it's too much headache to remember what the long hex strings are. I just need to know the plan's GUID.

2. [Powercfg /h off] disables exactly these options in the control panel, as far as I know.
powercfg /h manages the existence of the hibernate file. Removing the file doesn't prevent users from re-enabling it.

3. which settings exactly do you mean for NTlite?
Settings / Power Control
-> Fast Startup (Schneller Start)​
-> Shutdown menu - Hibernate (Menü Herunterfahren - Winterschlaf)​

Energieplandateien sind portierbar, Sie können sie übertragen und es besteht keine Gefahr, dass Sie vergessen, eine fehlende Einstellung hinzuzufügen. Für mich bereitet es zu große Kopfschmerzen, sich daran zu erinnern, was die langen Sechskantsaiten sind, es sei denn, Sie nehmen ein paar Änderungen vor. Ich muss nur die GUID des Plans kennen.
Okay, I have no problem with the SetupComplete or the Registry, the guid would be the High Performance "8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c".

powercfg /h verwaltet die Existenz der Ruhezustandsdatei. Das Entfernen der Datei hindert Benutzer nicht daran, sie erneut zu aktivieren.
Hmm okay, whenever I have that on a PC "powercfg /h off" buttons in the control panel were also gone.

Einstellungen / Leistungssteuerung
-> Schneller Start​
-> Menü Herunterfahren - Winterschlaf
Okay, I will remove them as a test

I want Quickstart and Hibernate to be disabled, by default, but I don't want them to be hidden.
So that the customer could (for whatever reason) simply enable it again.
The way Fast Startup and Hibernate work is as follows:
1) powercfg /hibernate off = deletes hiberfil.sys from the C: drive and sets this registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000

2) powercfg /hibernate on = creates hiberfil.sys on the C: drive and sets this registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000001

3) If you want to adjust hibernate for a new install of Windows, there is a different registry key which tells it to either enable or disable hibernation out of the box, meaning the hiberfil.sys does or doesn't get created during the installation of Windows:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabledDefault"=dword:00000000

Note: Fast Startup is a form of Hibernation, and they are linked together. You can disable Fast Startup with the "HiberbootEnabled" key, while keeping Hibernation enabled, but you cannot do it the other way around which is why Fast Startup disappears when Hibernation is disabled.

Disabling Hibernation automatically causes the Fast Startup and Hibernate buttons inside the Power Options page for "Choose what the power buttons do" to disappear, and those buttons will reappear when Hibernation is enabled. The Hibernate button you see in this page only toggles whether a Hibernate flyout option exists when you click Start > Power (Shut down, Restart, etcetera).

So to answer your question, you're already done and reached your desired solution before you posted. You have Hibernation disabled, and that's why the Fast Startup and Hibernate buttons are gone because the computer is not capable of entering Hibernation, so it hides these things.

There is no button to click on to enable/disable Hibernation, it can only be controlled by using powercfg in command prompt or by altering registry keys. Your users can still enable Hibernation and Fast Startup again using this approach, it's just not in an interface toggle like you desire.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers.
Until recently, the image was always like this after an installation:

Screenshot_2.png

So as if the user had removed the hooks after the installation.
I would have liked to have this again, because there are customers who want the hibernation or similar.

Well, then it remains hidden and if the customer wants it, he must come back or google it.
Most customers have no idea about the system.

Until recently, the image was always like this after an installation:
If your screenshot looked like that it's because Hibernation was *not* disabled. Fast Startup is unchecked, but still visible, because Hibernation was enabled. You can turn off Fast Startup and leave Hibernation enabled, this is valid. You cannot however, have Fast Startup enabled and Hibernation disabled. If you disable Hibernation the Fast Startup and Hibernation buttons will disappear from that page. So what happened here is you probably made a mistake and thought Hibernation was disabled, when in reality you had only disabled Fast Startup, which is essentially a subcomponent of Hibernation.

How is that, but if you remove the hooks yourself normally after a normal installation?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is easy to replicate, go ahead and open a command prompt and type: "powercfg /hibernate on" without quotes, to enable Hibernation, then go into that page you are taking these screenshots from and check again, you will now have Fast Startup and Hibernate buttons available. Now do it again, but this time turn off Hibernation with powercfg and refresh the Power Options page and 2 buttons dissapear now.

Last edited:
Attached is what my screenshot looks like when you use my Optimized Image Guide. Hibernation is disabled and so in this screenshot I do not have Hibernation or Fast Startup buttons. As soon as I turn on Hibernate again using powercfg, it will add the buttons back.

I think what you are getting confused about, is the button that says "Hibernate" is *not* an option to turn on or off Hibernation. All that toggle does on this page is make it so that you can go to the Start button on your taskbar, click it, then click "Power" from the bottom left, and those options that appear will either have "Hibernate" in it, or not, depending on how it is toggled.

Attachments

• Power.png
    Power.png
    23.8 KB
I'm sorry for the confusion.

So, imagine you have a new computer with a fresh Windows installation (with no presets).
You go into the Control Panel and see the Quick Start and Hibernate buttons, both of which have a check mark by default.

But now you uncheck them.

And that's what I want to have. That the hooks are out, but the button remains available.

Reread what I wrote in this post (link), thoroughly and carefully. I edited it to clean it up and make it translate better between my English and your German the best I can. I think that's a part of where the confusion is because something I'm saying isn't translating properly.

What you want, is what you already had in your very first screenshot. Leaving the Fast Startup and Hibernate buttons visible is *not* possible when the Hibernation functionality of the computer has been disabled through NTLite/Registry/Powercfg.

You are misunderstanding what is going on under the hood. That button for Hibernate has *nothing* to do with turning on or off Hibernation functionality--read the last 3 posts of mine for more clarification on that.

Last edited:
Okay, I just realized that I worded my question wrong.
I want these to be hidden in the start menu, exactly what they are supposed to do, the buttons in the control panel.
But in my case they are hidden in the control panel, now the question what setting does this, I am very sorry for the extreme confusion.
I will adjust the thread start

Based on your new wording in post 1, you want Fast Startup unchecked, and the Hibernate flyout setting unchecked. I get that, it's easy, and your XML already does this so you are good to go. But, I want to make sure you realize that Hibernation would still be enabled in this specific configuration, meaning you will have a hiberfil.sys sitting on C: drive that will consume many gigabytes of space, and the operating system will go into Hibernation under certain circumstances, you just specifically do not want the users to be able to put the computer into Hibernation by clicking on Start > Power > Hibernate. Is everything I said in this paragraph what you want, or is anything amiss?

If that's what you want, we need to remove whatever tweak you used to disable Hibernation. However, the problem there is the 2 files you attached to the original post do not have tweaks that are disabling Hibernation. This means you probably did a tweak after Windows was installed which disabled Hibernation and prompted you to then post the first screenshot. Did you use any tools, scripts, or manually disable Hibernation with powercfg? Did you mess with any BIOS settings recently?

I am aware that the hibernation mode is active.
I'll have to check with my colleagues when I get a chance.... Whether hibernation should be maintained or really completely deactivated.

After all, we don't just sell "gamer PCs", but also student notebooks and office PCs.

But to your question,
No, I checked immediately after an installation and it was not available.
And except for the SetupComplete which is created with the NTLite setting by me, nothing else is changed.

An installation script for programs runs independently and is started manually by us.

I re-download the stock Windows ISO via UUPDump on the monthly security patchday.

I came across a new piece of information that I can't confirm yet, but allegedly some devices that support modern standby may be disabling hibernation. If the screenshot from this post (link) is a machine that supports modern standby then that could explain it.

Was hibernation enabled in previous installs on this same computer from the screenshot, or is this like a client's computer and you're wondering why suddenly your custom image is resulting in hibernation being disabled when it works on other computers?

On that machine from the screenshot, type powercfg /availablesleepstates and see if it has S0 (modern standby) support and also if it mentions Hibernation. Now use powercfg /hibernate on and check if Fast Startup and Hibernate buttons get added back into that screenshot page. This will help tell us what's going on so we can know if modern standby was behind this.

Back