How to add an folder with apps for manual installation after Windows install has finished?

ntliteusrnl

Some programs can be slipstreamed using switches like '/Silent' or '/S', but apparently other programs cannot.
So I then want those '.exe' files to be added onto a directory at 'C:\' root for manual installation later, when Windows installation has finished.
Yet, when loaded the Windows 10 image into NTLite for editing, all files in cache file, like the *.WIM file, are in fact then left 'read only'.
But while the NTLite cache is read only, how to proceed then to get my files to be inserted within '$oem$/$1 anyway and later being put in 'C:\' root after Windows installation has finished?
With 7-Zip I can open the WIM file and find the $oem$ file to put the $1 file into, but I'm not able to edit it yet.
Someone there to help me out with some (procedures) guidelines?

Last edited:
The normal way to transfer files on a new system is using the $OEM$ folder mechanism.

Folders & files under the ISO directory's sources\$OEM$ folder will be copied as follows:

$OEM$\$$ = C:\Windows
$OEM$\$1 = C:\
$OEM$\$2 = D:\
$OEM$\$1\Path\To\Folder = C:\Path\To\Folder

Content should be copied to the extracted ISO folder, not to any NTLite cache folder. If you're using a directly imported ISO, then you need to switch to extracting the ISO first (using 7-Zip), then adding the folder as your NTLite source.

Cache folders are for NTLite's private use, and should be avoided. When using $OEM$, don't create a $OEM$\Users\[you] folder because files will be copied with read-only attributes, and will interfere with new account setup.

Right,
Yet the downloaded ISO file (by Media Creation Tool) contain multiple versions, as there is the various Home and Professional versions.
I only need one Home (core) and one Professional version.
How do I seperate those, or do I need to get another ISO to begin with?

Or:

I noticed that when I selected one Windows 10 version that is getting loaded into NTLite from the ISO file, it will be extacted first and then converted into WIM.
Can I use that (converted) version, after the Windows file has been unloaded again in NTLite?
It is there (WIM) where the $oem$ file resides, but after conversion it is not there yet, may I create it myself like '$oem$\$1'?
Or is it after unloading still in private use by NTLite (read only) and therefor useless?

Or does the unloaded file remain useless anyway?

Will the conversion be undone when unloading the Windows file again in NTLite?

Sorry for that many questions ...

Last edited:
Hi
Just extract your iso to a folder from where your can load it to NTL.
Then you keep your original ISO if want to seperate Home and Pro.

If remove ie. Pro from Home in Apply tab your lefted image only consist Home after NTL done it's job.
Therefore keep an original ISO from where you can extract from and test NTL scenarios.

I only need one Home (core) and one Professional version.
The gist is what francis11 said, but if you want a walkthrough look at this guide (link) because it shows you how to do exactly this, and you'll be able to identify the step where you need to make a modification to keep Pro (the guide as-is shows you how to download an ISO, convert it to WIM for editing, remove uneeded editions, and prepare a Windows USB drive). Then once you have a clean base image that's ready for editing, you can move forward with your tweaking and OEM stuff.

Last edited:
Okay here my advice if you want to place your folder containing your files to make an optional installation of the user after the installation just mount the iso using ntlite and copy then paste your files or folder in default user if you want it under user’s folder or place it wherever you want under system drive.

You don’t need to use OEM anymore

Good Luck

Copying files to Default User means every new user gets a copy. Which is pointless if you're installing an app for everyone.

If you need to run an installer which doesn't have silent options, or requires user input -- run it from Post-Setup (User). Everything in (User) is launched after you've logged on to the desktop. Which means you can interact with the app.

Post-Setup (Machine) apps can't be interacted with, and require a working silent option.

Copying files to Default User means every new user gets a copy. Which is pointless if you're installing an app for everyone.

If you need to run an installer which doesn't have silent options, or requires user input -- run it from Post-Setup (User). Everything in (User) is launched after you've logged on to the desktop. Which means you can interact with the app.

Post-Setup (Machine) apps can't be interacted with, and require a working silent option.
I agree with your arguments.
This, b.t.w is not the first time I use NTLite ... years ago .... the XP era .... I did put those post-setup files in the 'tools' folder and then create the ISO file within NTLite and that worked flawlessly.
Now, working with NTLite feels a bit different than in the XP era, many changes I guess ever since.
But does Windows 10 have a similar folder for tools or is $oem$ folder meant for all that?

When I double click on 'boot.wim' file in 7-zip, after the ISO file has been created without any changes made, the file opens showing 2 folders within (named 1 and 2) and a .xml file.
In the folder named 1 contain 'source' file with 2 folders, language and recovery.
Folder 2 contains also a 'source' file where on top of the list the '$oem$' folder resides with ie slipstreamed installers when those have been added with silent switches.
But if the file is not being processed and the ISO is created, that '$oem$' folder is not yet there.
So how to proceed then?
Do I need to uncompress the boot.wim file first in 7-Zip before adding my folder with post installers to it?
Do I than also have to create the '$oem$\$1' where in $1 my folder goes with all the post-installers like malwarebytes, etc.?
Does the file need compression after being edited?

$OEM$ folder works in exactly the same way as XP.

It's created on the extracted ISO folder's \sources directory. You must make it yourself, unless NTLite created one for any other Post-Setup commands. Don't look inside either WIM file, it belongs in the ISO folder.

1. Download clean ISO.
2. Extract to local folder using 7-Zip. "\ISO_folder" will be an example of the folder's actual name.
3. mkdir \ISO_folder\sources\$OEM$
4. mkdir \ISO_folder\sources\$OEM$\$1\MyFiles
5. Copy your files over.
6. Load image folder \ISO_folder in NTLite.
7. Update your image. When done, create a new ISO.

Thanks for this quick guide.
I noticed that slipstreamed apps (with switches) already have been placed in that $oem$ folder.
But in a new 'clean' ISO project this $oem$ folder is not yet been created.
Therefor the instructions on the what and how to do and where to put post installers into ('\$1') is very welcome.

And I will create a dutch quick guide with your directions (translated) on it pointing to this post (if that is ok with you)
But before I do, I guess you would like to read it first, right?

Last edited:
Back