How to add .NET 3.5 to Windows 8.1?

FredThompson

I've read a number of posts here. The acronym's in Clanger's 8.1 thread confused me. Yes, I've researched but haven't found explicit instructions. If they exist, please direct me to them.

I'm starting with Win8.1_English_x64 or Win8.1_EnglishInternational_x64 from M$. Add $oem$ folder from Multi-OEM-Retail Project - Mk3 to get themes and ei.cfg to force pro install.

If I add all the available update CAB files (WSUS Offline Update and some MSUs converted to CAB such as WinHelp) except 2966826-8, the installed OS will not allow adding .net 3.5. It returns that damn xxx906 error. Installing from media won't work, nor will the dedicated offline installer from M$ or the silent installer from Baltagy.

https://www.ntlite.com/discussions/#/discussion/397/net-3-5-integration-w10 states,

To install or integrate .NET 3.5 under Windows 10, since version 1.6.1 there is the option in the Updates page - Add - Template - .NET Framework 3.5.

Or manually add:
.\sources\sxs\microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab
from the ISO content, to the Updates page.

The template menu option is gray, reporting files are missing.

There is no microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab file in the sxs folder for Win 8.1

There is an offline installer at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/cc378097 but it fails to install if included in Post-Setup using NTLite.

DISM install fails.

My guess is one or more security hotfixes prevent installing. There are quite a few of them which apply to both .net 3.x and 4.x. It's POSSIBLE to remove all of them from NTLite's list of updates but, if that's the only solution, may as well install a plain M$ ISO, enable .net 3.5, then use a WSUS offline ISO. Yuck!

Would someone please show me how to properly incorpoate .net 3.5 SP 1 into NTLite for Windows 8.1 x64 so NTLite's method of incorprating udpates works?

There isnt a cab file for .net3.5 on 8.1(as far as i know), its a load of files inside sources\sxs in the iso.

This is the command to install .net 3.5(credit - abbodi86 :) )
Code:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:\sources\sxs

And this is to install .net 472 incase you want it
wusa.exe "%WINDIR%\Setup\Files\windows8.1-kb4054566-x64.msu" /quiet

Last edited:
Back