How to customize icons for imageres.dll and shell32.dll from regedit

Hi!
How to costume the icons for the imageres.dll and shell32.dll from regidit :

Can you help me?
It can be completely replaced, there is one called imageres.dll.mun in Win10 and Win11 system, different from Win7 and Win8, remove the mun and only leave the .dll is available, imageres.dll.mun has dozens of kilobytes, while imageres.dll is only a few kilobytes, you should be talking about the former, it is located in C:\ Windows\SystemResources
Many files have the same name, I don't know which system you are referring to, just remove the mun at the end, win7/8 needs to be changed, win10/11 can be replaced directly

It can be completely replaced, there is one called imageres.dll.mun in Win10 and Win11 system, different from Win7 and Win8, remove the mun and only leave the .dll is available, imageres.dll.mun has dozens of kilobytes, while imageres.dll is only a few kilobytes, you should be talking about the former, it is located in C:\ Windows\SystemResources
Many files have the same name, I don't know which system you are referring to, just remove the mun at the end, win7/8 needs to be changed, win10/11 can be replaced directly
In windows 10 or ltsc2019
Remove a file ( imageres.dll.mun) through the following path:

C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\imageres.dll.mun

Last edited:
Remove a file ( imageres.dll.mun) through the following path:
Yes, make sure you have a pe disk, you need to do it in a pe environment, you can make a backup first, I replaced it without making a backup and there were no exceptions after the replacement. But you need to make sure the new dll is adapted to your version, it's better to make a backup, if there is an exception you can restore it. But I still don't recommend you to use this risky method, it's safer to use the theme method.
Also, the shell32.dll you mentioned can't be modified, he has nothing to do with the desktop icons, he's more underlying.
Remember that your post should be placed in the "General" section.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Yes, make sure you have a pe disk, you need to do it in a pe environment, you can make a backup first, I replaced it without making a backup and there were no exceptions after the replacement. But you need to make sure the new dll is adapted to your version, it's better to make a backup, if there is an exception you can restore it. But I still don't recommend you to use this risky method, it's safer to use the theme method.
Also, the shell32.dll you mentioned can't be modified, he has nothing to do with the desktop icons, he's more underlying.
Remember that your post should be placed in the "General" section.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
I want to change icons in Windows 10 ISO and then install them on the virtual machine for testing
Thank you for your help

There are several online articles or discussions on using Resource Hacker to replace icons in imageres.dll.

NTLite forum isn't the place to discuss how to modify these files, because nuhi prefers we don't risk violating the DCMA by discussing how to modify Windows binaries.

If you want to replace these files:
1. Download PowerRun, so you can open a CMD shell with TrustedInstaller rights in order to replace the original files in NTLite's mounted folder.
2. Running "sfc /scannow" will wipe out your changes.
3. Installing the Monthly Update can also wipe out your changes.

Back