How to find out if there are false parameters for silent installs?

amr0d

Hey everyone,

so far my Windows 11 ISO works fine to the point where the PC restarts and it says "Just a moment" with the spinning wheel. AFAIK this is where it tries to do the post setup with my silent install files. The problem: It stays there forever which probably means I have done something wrong. Is there a way to find out at which point the installation went wrong? I added a picture of my configuration in NTLite and maybe you can tell me what is wrong but for future problems it would be nice to know how to fix it myself.

NTLite_8UZ6FVJm2e.png

For troubleshooting silent installs, there is no substitute searching silent install flags on the app's website, Silent Install HQ or browsing Chocolatey's community repo.

MSI packages all follow the standard of using /quiet, /passive and /norestart flags.
EXE files don't share an universal standard, unless they're created using the same packaging tool (like InnoSetup).

This is why installers are sometimes released in both MSI & EXE formats.

Two ways to test your silent install, outside of an image:

1. Don't include any installers on your image. Install image to a system or VM, and manually download/copy the same installers.
Open a CMD window as Administrator, and run each installer with your install flags. If the program doesn't finish installing, without user input, then it will fail in Post-Setup.​

2. If you don't have an extra PC or VM, then uninstall the same programs from your PC. Now try to re-install them locally as Administrator, to check if the silent parameters work.

Reviewing your list, most of the settings look correct. But Post-Setup might be hiding a warning or other error, that you cannot see unless running it on a live system. If there's a UI, installers might not have any messages to save to file.

UPDATE: Live system testing
- Stream_Deck "/passive /qn /norestart" and "/quiet /norestart" opens the app, but it never quits.
- WaveLink -> same problem​
- AMD Chipset -> can't test on non-AMD platform​
- QuickLook, Aida64, and NTLite work fine.​

Last edited:
Back