How to Integrate Compact LZX to Windows ISO

lenkarin

Hi guys,
Have some time I want to know how to integrate the compact LZX to the windows ISO, but after some trying it seems I'm skipping a step.

I wanna try to make some ISO like Ghost Spectre does integrating the compact LZX, but I don't know how to do it.

What I try is remove unwanted apps using NTLite, export the WIM image after that mount in NTLite and explore mount directory.
After go to NTLiteTmp Folder, I try to use the CompactGUI to integrate the compact but no success.

Right now I'm using CompactOS, but I want know if have a way to integrate the LZX compact to the ISO

I think what Garlin was trying to do is get you to realize that it's already been answered.

I skimmed through the previous thread, and I think maybe you've gotten confused by some terminology and/or Ghost Spectre is misleading you. I'll give you a slighty different take on things compared to that other thread, so you have both sides of the fence and then you choose what's right for you:

REGISTRY KEYS
Most tweaks are actually just registry keys. So many programs you will find on the internet, such as tools that disable Windows Update or commands like Compact are almost always toggling a registry key in the background, simply hidden by a user interface.

To integrate these tweaks all you need to do for many of them is find the registry key and put it into a .reg file and use NTLite to bake it into your image. To get started go grab a program like RegistryChangesView from Nirsoft. With this program you would take a capture of your registry, then run the Compact command with your desired syntax and then compare the registry changes to get the key(s) you are looking for.

I talk about Compact registry keys here, and in that same thread another user talks about the commands and Garlin points to the setting in NTLite. For additional information, in a command prompt type compact /? to see the help file, or Google search how to lzx windows which will come up with links like this and this.

Some keys may not work as expected, either because they get overwritten at some point during the Windows install process, or they require some other circumstance to take effect. In those cases you can put the commands into post-setup to try and solve that. Compact may require this, I'm not sure without testing it.

GHOST SPECTRE
There's really no way to make an iso like Ghost Spectre because it isn't transparent (they don't tell you all the tweaks they do).

What I'd like to ask though, is why do people feel like LZX is better for gaming? Is it just because Ghost Spectre is using it, and so people assume it's good, or are there benchmarks and such that support its usage?

We recently discussed the Ghost Spectre image over in the Nvidia DPC thread here and here, and we didn't see anything we liked as far as DPC is concerned. That's not the full picture though, to be fair it needs to be benchmarked too, but DPC is more important than frame rates so an image that has the same or worse DPC than a default Windows install is concerning.

Anyway, all I'm saying is be skeptical of "gaming" stuff you see on the internet, make sure to test things in both directions, such as with and without compression, using actual benchmarking tools that check DPC, frame rates, and some scoring benchmarks too so you get a full picture of if a tweak is actually beneficial or not.

Last edited:
You enable Compact OS from Unattended's WinPE/Install settings. That forces WinPE to install Windows files in compacted mode.
There is no need to compact anything inside the WIM beforehand, and WIM can't store it as a compacted file any way.

Here's what it actually changes:
XML:
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
        <ImageInstall>
            <OSImage>
                <Compact>true</Compact>
            </OSImage>
        </ImageInstall>
</component>

Optimize a Windows 10 IoT Enterprise image

Back