How to remove Win10 1809 Update schedule before Windows load

Saaglem

I found away to block Windows 10 - 1809 updates before even loading to the desktop. For anyone here interested in it.

PLEASE NOTE: This reg file removes the whole Windows update from task scheduler. So if you use Windows update DON'T use this.

Here is the reg file. Loaded it in NTLite in the reg section. It works.....beautifully. The rest will still update....drivers, program features, etc....just not windows update

VERY IMPORTANT: You CANNOT run this if you didn't add the "Completely remove windows update schedule" reg file in NTLite.

To run this without adding it to NTLite, you first need to take ownership of the regkey's in "Completely remove windows update schedule"

Download the UpDel.rar file. Extract to C:\. It should look like this C:\UpDel
Then open manage, Task Scheduler, Task Scheduler Library. Right click on Library and click import. Point to C:\UpDel and import the xml file. Once imported just click run. The rest will happen on a schedule. Just don't forget to copy this some place safe for future reference.

NOTE: I do not except responsibility if you run this file if you want to use your Windows Update. I do have a backup of the task scheduler....between the 5 machines I've tested this they all have the exact same schedule. BTW....... Windows has a counter measure or heartbeat that put the scheduler back together. So if you delete the key's.....well they will comeback.

Attachments

• Completly remove windows update schedule.reg
    1.8 KB
  • Updel.rar
    1.9 KB
Last edited:
Update, The heartbeat that put the scheduler back together is not beating when the network is disconnected. It only functions when there is network status......which makes me think that if you can trick the scheduler to think there is no network then you don't need this! The solution to that should be in the registry. Once again.....I'll report back when or if I can find it.

Update, The heartbeat that put the scheduler back together is not beating when the network is disconnected. It only functions when there is network status......

I think that is in NTLite tweaks Settings - Services, above Windows Update, can't remember the tweak name but seems obvious or that service would be only for Win Update Disabled (enables Win Update).

New Windows 10 builds have a function where a disabled Windows Update service automagically gets re-enabled and started, I think you'd need to rip out the windows update 'medic' component or whatever its called, which forcibly re-enables update service..

I'm kind of surprised removing the task scheduler components actually help, as it did not half a year back on a 'stock' 170x build anyway.

You can disable Waas Medic and Update Orchestrator Service with a pre-load of these reg files

Attachments

• Disable Update Orchestrator Service.reg
    123 bytes
  • Disable Windows Update Medic Service.reg
    131 bytes
UPDATE.
If you remove Windows Update Medic Service and or disable Update Orchestrator Service you CANNOT activate Windows, not even with slui. Leave Update Medic disabled and just run the disable reg key included here to disable them after you activated your system. The system become very unstable with explorer hangs and freezes when you leave only Update Orchestrator Service running and try to stop it via task scheduler. Rather just disable the service, after stopping it you can remove via task scheduler.....then it remains stable. If you completely remove Medic service and disable Update Orchestrator Service via NTLite the machine give all sorts of failures. Programs that behave differently when install, some don't install, some install but it is not were it should be and others install but it doesn't show in Program files or Appdata or were they should be.

Last edited:
Unactivated windows gives you a poxy watermark. Winaero has a watermark disabler that works on 8.1 with driver signing disabled, i forget its full name. :( Ahh, that gives me an idea. :)

Saaglem
If you just want to turn off updates, then it is not necessary to break child services and tasks.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;; Disable automatic update Windows10 ! (manual only)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Update\AllowAutoUpdate]
"value"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Update\AllowUpdateService]
"value"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Update\DisableDualScan]
"value"=dword:00000001

ps. checked 1607 & 1809

Last edited:
That I've done. But the heartbeat between Medic service via windows update and Update Orchestrator Service continue. What I have found now is that if you only disable Medic with NTLite then the heartbeat is lost. You can still update something if you like but windows system doesn't look for updates anymore and Update Orchestrator Service doesn't misbehave. If you stop or disable Update Orchestrator Service you have instability. It looks like Windows update as a service is only there to do the actual update work, collect and install, etc. So basically, just disable medic in the services and change Update Orchestrator Service to manual in NTLite services then you are good to go. I on the otherhand still run the script to remove the task though.....because if I'm wrong then before I open my eyes then a new update is pushed that destroy all my work up to now.

UPDATE.
OK.....I was wrong. You can update Windows with Medic and Update Orchestrator Service disabled. I have found the mother that's behind the windows update issue. If you disable Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant then your machine cannot update and Windows and slui tell you that their is no network to connect to and then it complain about network because of much needed updates. It's a simple service that you can just click and disable. So far I have been running it for 24hours and only had 1MB of transfer data which was my registration and the time to respond to the disable part. I still have Windows Update, Windows Medic and Update Orchestrator Service disabled. It looks like you can disable them as long as you don't delete the task scheduler info. I include a simple reg file to disable Update Orchestrator Service. Simply change the value of the dword to 1 for system, 2 for automatic, 3 for manual and 4 for disable. You can stop and start it but not change the operation of it by clicking. Which tell me I must remove my post at the top. I'll put a song in so someone can sing it. lol

Please note if you use Windows store this will not work for you.

Attachments

• Update Orchestrator Service on manual.reg
    123 bytes
Good work Saaglem :). Keep post no1 in because sometimes the road to discovery is as important as the discovery itself.
If you want to put a song in then i have a very appropriate choice, There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bas----- by Ian Dury and The Blockheads. hehe

Now this works on 1809 and that covers LTSC but what about 1607 because a lot of people will still be using 1607 LTSB.
Was that 1 meg of data from a machine that was idle for 24 hours or or was you doing your normal everyday stuff on it? A 1meg text file can hold a lot of data, see attached.

Personally i dont give a rats about what 10 sends home because it cant send diddly squat if someone cuts the cable, what it does mean though is w10 is doing less of what it wants and more of what i want.

Tip, drag C:\Windows\System32\services.msc to Power Runs UI for any service work, no grey outs or not alloweds. :cool:
There are 4 services.msc's(not including those in winsxs), use the one that is correct for your chosen language, i use en-gb.

How about just disabling those tasks? Many dive straight in n delete/remove things only to get hit when the whatsit hits the fan as it usually does.

Last edited:
I have found it. In Windows 10-1809. In group policy, Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings\Turn off access to all Windows Update features. If you disable this policy then Windows cannot and will not update any software, this include drivers. I will check if you can still activate windows with this option disabled. All the work....the last couple of days.....for a click. LOL........nauh....still worth it....I've might have not won.....but I've learned something new.

WELL-WELL....this was a load of crap

Last edited:
All the work....the last couple of days.....for a click.

Yep. :D

I've might have not won.....but I've learned something new.

A - Time flies when you are having fun.
2 - How much tea or coffee a human can drink in 24 hours.
C - How much a human can smoke in 24 hours.
4 - My favourite, new expletifs. :D
5 - That you are a masochist. :p
6 - You may be suffering from Osessive Compulsive Disorder.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have removed the following services in NTLite, see list1 and list2 has the remaining services. What I have found is if you remove Waas medic service, run the Updel xml file on preload and disable the services in list2 then windows cannot run a windows update. There is some debate on the net about which service to stop but these settings work on the 5 machines I am testing currently. They all run Windows 10-1809 with only DotNet3.5 update installed and after about a week of testing....downloading about 70GB data....allsorts....the system, dashost, smb, explorer of each machine has only downloaded +-5MB in total. I disabled ALL the inbound and outbound rules for Windows Defender firewall, which I will remove on the next run, and made a 3 step blocking xml file for Eset Antivirus to determine the impact on the system and on the update scheduler. NOT one of the machines complained or froze with Update Orchestrator and Windows update service disabled after removing the services. Update orchestrator I will remove in the next run as well and see stability without it.

Attachments

• List1 - Removed services.txt
    1.5 KB
  • List2 - Remaining services.jpg
    List2 - Remaining services.jpg
    1.8 MB
Back