In-place Upgrade Win10 to Win11 with custom ISO

Totentanz

Apologies if this has already been answered, I searched and couldn't find anything.
I have a custom Windows 11 ISO I made with NTLite that is stripped down and runs a handful of powershell scripts on first boot to auto-deploy the system. It works great for clean installs.
But if I use that same ISO to do an in-place upgrade on a Windows 10 computer, it installs all the default junk and doesn't run any of the scripts I have set up to run at the first boot.
I've tried running setup.exe with command line with switches "/auto upgrade /dynamicupdate disable /quiet /eula accept" and I've even just ran setup.exe through the GUI and told it not to download updates. It doesn't seem to matter, just acts like it's running a standard installer. I don't really care about it not running my scripts as these are all systems I deployed with a similar Windows 10 ISO made using NTLite. I just don't want all that crapware installing every time if I can avoid it.

My suspicion is that there isn't a way around this other than doing a clean install instead of an in-place upgrade. This wouldn't be a problem if I only had one system to upgrade instead of several hundred. Anyone have a way around this, or is there something I'm missing?

Upper-case Setup.exe doesn't follow the same command line options, as lower-case setup.exe

You can try:
Code:
D:\sources\setup.exe /auto upgrade /dynamicupdate disable /quiet /eula accept /installfrom D:\sources\install.wim /imageindex 1 /PostOOBE C:\path\to\SetupComplete.cmd

Before calling SetupComplete.cmd, you need to confirm all pathnames are correct since no files will be copied from the $OEM$ staging folder. That only happens for a WinPE install.

Back