Install Size Issue

GameBroadCaster

So i made a Windows 10 2004 ISO with Removed components and it turned out to be Very good.So i mounted the Iso again to remove even more components.This time after install the install size did not decrease.Instead it increased.It went From 8GB to 14GB.Can anyone please explain me why this is happening?

Hm... integrated Nvidia drivers?
If doing so, make sure to integrate only one INF, as each of them pulls the entire folder and it's huge.

Same for post-setup, make sure there is no big installer added (I mean you could, just have that size in mind).

And most probable in this case, something else was in the folder and got packaged into the ISO.
When copying image files, make sure to use a new subfolder, never do the edit and ISO creation from the drive root directly, as all folders would get copied into it.

Try again fresh, combine those two presets as one (ctrl+ load, or load-append).

did you change the compression from wim to esd in the first place ? that would shrink iso size

Bro I am not talking about iso size.I am talking about final install size.(space allocated by windows)
Please post preset for the image in question as it will help to find out just in case something was accidentally duplicated.
The only other thing i can think of could be updates, that is if they were integrated into the iso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you disable Settings -> System -> Reserved storage?

Virtual memory (paging file) and hibernation also take up disk space.

If you use a laptop then it is recommended to keep hibernation enabled in case when the battery runs out you don't lose data. If not, you can disable this and gain a few GBs of space:

powercfg /hibernate off

Did you disable Settings -> System -> Reserved storage?

Virtual memory (paging file) and hibernation also take up disk space.

If you use a laptop then it is recommended to keep hibernation enabled in case when the battery runs out you don't lose data. If not, you can disable this and gain a few GBs of space:

powercfg /hibernate off

i forgot about doing that myself, and just got back a nice 15gb

i forgot about doing that myself, and just got back a nice 15gb
The size that Windows reserves for hibernation depends on the amount of RAM so it can vary from person to person but having 16GB of RAM or more should make for an insanely large hibernation file.

And the "Reserved storage" reserves disk space for updates by default, from what I remember around 7 GB.

NTLite also takes into account a pagefile unless it has been Disabled if i am not mistaken.
Yes NTLite allows you to set a size for the paging file but I think this is buggy in Win10 version 2004 (20H2, 21H1, etc) I used it and now leaving it on automatic doesn't work, I had to set a size of 4GB manually to not have a problem with some programs here. I'm going to do a clean install with an updated ISO (I'm on a very old update) and without touching it to see if that fixes it.

But I think Windows 10 onwards manages virtual memory well and there is no need to configure it manually. It is very difficult to know the ideal size to use. Windows adjusts this as needed.

For those using VMware Workstation 16 onwards, never disable paging file! It took me a while to figure out that this was what caused 3D acceleration to be disabled. Some games will also crash with this disabled.

I still got an 1809 .3165 capture, i create and grab a new one everytime i get 10 back up for testing.
I intend to test 1809 as well, I think this is a little lighter than 2004 but some games are already demanding 2004 so I don't know, but they are not games I intend to play in the short term.

1607 is the lightest Win10 but in my experience some laptops don't run well on it (lack of working drivers) and some nvidia cards only have drivers for 1809 onwards, it's possible to modify the driver to run on 1607 but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

intel uhd 610/630 igpu's dont have a 1607 driver. only major difference between ltsb and ltsc is the amount of svchost instances which in 1809 can be dealt with very easily. not going back to 1607. screw messing around with modded drivers.

Back