Is it OK to build W11 on a W10 machine?

albi

I read somewhere here that it was preferable to build NTLite images on a PC running the same version of Windows, but can't find that post now.
My current PC is running W10 Enterprise and I am using NTLIte to build W11 Pro images for installation on different hardware.
How important is that both versions of Windows are the same?

If I need to run on NTLIte on a W11 machine when building W11 images, I would need to use up one license activation to create a temporary working machine.

DISM will support multiple functions, depending on what host platform you're on. For the ability to install updates, or to manage Features on Demand on a W10 or 11 image, the host is required to be W10 or 11. They're considered interchangeable in this respect.

This ability doesn't apply to older platforms like W7 or 8, which cannot process W10 or 11 updates or features. They can load and remove components.

All other NTLite features are mostly platform independent:
- appending/removing images​
- removing components​
- adding drivers​
- integrating reg keys or tweaks​
- Unattended mode​
- Post-Setup commands​
- conversion to ESD format​

Generally your host platform should be up-to-date on patches, simply to remove any doubts about host-related issues.

If I need to run on NTLIte on a W11 machine when building W11 images, I would need to use up one license activation to create a temporary working machine.
NTLite won't use up an activation from changing operating systems, so feel free to switch back and forth at will. On a related note, Windows 11 and 10 license keys are interchangeable too, meaning you could use a Windows 11 Pro license to install Windows 10 Pro, and vice versa (the stipulation is that you cannot mix editions, such as going from Home to Pro).

NTLite won't use up an activation by changing operating systems,
Provided it is on the same pc and set up for dual boot.
100GB is more than enough for a test install and to modify windows images,
A 500GB hdd/ssd is usually 465GB after formatting,
365GB for your main install then 100GB to faff around with, a test install or a full non modded install because its always handy to have a default OS for when the wotsit hits the fan.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's all ready good knowhow.
Clanger said:
Provided it is on the same pc and set up for dual boot.
I will try setting up a W11 partition with dual boot on the existing W10 hardware.
So when I install NTLite in the second W11 partition and enter the license key, it checks with the NTLite server, sees the hardware is unchanged and doesn't subtract an activation... is that how it works?

So when I install NTLite in the second W11 partition and enter the license key, it checks with the NTLite server, sees the hardware is unchanged and doesn't subtract an activation... is that how it works?
Yes. Actually, dont install ntlite to that partition, just copy(the whole) ntlite folder to that partition, im not sure it even needs to connect to the ntlite server, i have a Business license which isnt bound to 1 specific hardware combination and i have forgotten Home License limitations. If it does need to connect to the server its still the same hardware it was originally activated on.

Dual-boot isn't necessary for successful image processing, it only helps speed up testing of the finished ISO. I've cross-built images on both W10 & 11 environments inside the same VM, which gets wiped multiple times to a W10 or 11 guest OS.

NTLite licensing is based on your PC's HW signature, which is a combination of CPU, motherboard, boot disk, and networking. As long as it remains the same (or if you're using a VM, the same VM gets re-used), you won't be charged for a new activation.

Back