Is there a No-No Thread for component removal?

Looking for a list of stuff that can potentially break something. I can't seem to find anything recent. If not, could you point me to something close? Thanks

No, because this list depends on what features you consider critical. For example, you can run Server without any desktop support even though the image has those features.

This is why NTLite spends so much effort on Compatibility mode.

Components are color-coded based on risk level. Removing red-tagged components is more likely to break features, vs. anything tagged green. The reason components are grouped in a "non-sorted" order, is because it's a giant dependency tree. Each higher component sits on top of a required lower component it needs.

There are many threads where users ask why a specific feature doesn't work, and we can explain them. But there is no generic thread listing every component's impact.

If you don't disable protections, NTLite will warn you that a removal will have consequences. Whenever a previously unreported dependency is discovered, it gets added to NTLite's growing Compatibility list.

Yeah, I've been carefully going through the green check boxes. One maybe two of which I don't think are a good idea to remove, like kernel debugging mode if I understand what it does correctly. A pleasant yellow, maybe. :p Those stupid descriptions MS writes are not written for the layman most of the time. I know a ton of research went into developing NTLite. I overthink things way too often.

Let me just underline the basics:
avoid the red ones (keep Compatibility option Recommended enabled), all else can go if you don't need it.
Goes without saying avoid Drivers and Hardware Support if not knowing exactly, the hardware lists locking can help, but are not perfect.
Some are not tagged at all, it's up to you on those, like drivers and languages.
And if you find a red one, or any for that matter, to break something unexpected, please report.

Btw always keep OOBE compatibility enabled if editing an image, later on a deployed install you can remove those.

I was searching for a new removal candidates, thus first removing all, including the red ones, and that broke the actual installation as they weren't all re-tested on Win11 22H2 constant updates.
Adapted a few for the next version, goal is not to have a component that breaks install, otherwise what's the point of listing it.

The only drivers I removed were for Floppy discs and Phone Service. I usually integrate my existing drivers into the ISO, but my current build,
which I installed literally 2 days ago, isn't identifying my sound drivers correctly. And that's using the device manufacturer's drivers! What the heck is wrong with Windows 10 22H2?? Never saw such an issue with 21H2. One more try before I decide to go back to that version.

I'll attach my final preset as I think it's a stable choice. So I keep telling myself.

Attachments

• NewBeginningMar28.xml
    37.4 KB
There's a popular myth with users believing they need Windows Store to run UWP ("Store") apps. This is not true.

You only need the Store App to browse for new apps, purchase apps or downloadable content (DLC). The Store app is not required to run pre-installed apps, or to have Windows Update install newer versions. Store App can be integrated on LTSC/LTSB releases if wanted.

If you're using Xbox Game Pass, Store and Microsoft Account ("Passport") are required. Dell, HP and NVIDIA can self-install apps without having the Store present, because they extract their own package files.

O365 is available in Retail or Store versions, but only one kind can be installed on a system. Retail downloads can be custom installed, but the Store version don't offer that option. Both require a MS Account for authentication.

Retail requires you to purchase from an online portal (more work), where the Store is click-and-download if you've already added a credit card to your MS Account. The two versions are functionally the same, but deployed differently.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/office-...ce-365-retail-download-which-is-right-for-me/
https://www.ablebits.com/docs/excel-ultimate-suite-replace-office-from-store/

Power users should pick the Retail copy.

I experimented with multiple Office versions, except 360, and Office 2013 is the last one that let me install only individual apps that I wanted to, while letting me skip the rest. Wish MS sold just MS Word.

To install specific apps and leave others out in O365 you need to build a configuration xml that the installer can understand. Microsoft offers a generator for that specific purpose: https://config.office.com/deploymentsettings. Using their xml generator, you can create a configuration file that will only install Word if you wanted. Then its simply a matter of executing the installer with instructions to use your config file: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/admincenter/overview-office-customization-tool

In older versions of office (pre-2019), you would download the OCT locally and generate an .msp file for the installer to use. You can find instructions here: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Of...ve/DeployOffice/oct/oct-2016-help-overview.md
It's only really for Office 2016, which, I wouldn't even recommend you use anyway due to its age and legacy status.

Last edited:
The only drivers I removed were for Floppy discs and Phone Service. I usually integrate my existing drivers into the ISO, but my current build,
which I installed literally 2 days ago, isn't identifying my sound drivers correctly. And that's using the device manufacturer's drivers! What the heck is wrong with Windows 10 22H2?? Never saw such an issue with 21H2. One more try before I decide to go back to that version.

I'll attach my final preset as I think it's a stable choice. So I keep telling myself.
You remove quite a lot of drivers, like wave.inf and many other suspicious ones, unrelated to sound is scmvolume.inf, not sure that should be removed.
Try after loading your preset to re-check the drivers and answer No to all when it asks.
See if that solves the sound driver issue. If you ever find which exact driver was it, let me know to block it.

Back