ISO file is too big in size

Chandrashekhar

I started to do myself modification of Windows 7. The problem what I got is when I add updates, security patches, drivers and some software's into WIM, after the creation of ISO. I have seen the size of the ISO is too big. The original ISO of Windows 7 (x86 & x64) all edition and the original size was 5.71 GB. When I customized and converted to ISO then the size was 8.23 GB.

Please Help me!!!!!!!!!!, How can I reduce the size of ISO without removing any pieces of stuff from the ISO. I tried to compress with the help of 7zip, Winrar, PowerISO, Magic ISO and etc. But, I am unsuccessful. I am Awaiting for your replies.

Please Help!!!!!!!

Try removing manual setup files, and do a esd compression... maybe u can check removing update packages too

dont add display drivers because they are very big, especially if there are seperate 32 and 64bit drivers, besides they are updated very frequently. only add usb and other chipset drivers. you could try removing 3rd party drivers(most of them will be outdated anyway), w7 64bit has around 800mb of drivers, w7 32bit estimated at 5-600mb, prolly more if you include whats in winsxs.

Last edited:
For comparison, here's some sizes. W7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (single edition, original drivers) + 665 MB post-setup (VC++ & NDP 4.8).

default - install.wim 3.96 GB
Clean Update - install.wim 3.05 GB
wimlib recompression of previous install.wim - 2.91 GB

Don't forget to trim 32 and 64-bit editions of Windows you don't have a license key for (Home/Pro/Ultimate), especially if you started from an all-in-one distribution. Unless you have extra keys, those unused editions are dead space.

Try removing manual setup files, and do a esd compression... maybe u can check removing update packages too

ESD format only works for W8 or W10, which is why NTLite doesn't give you this option.

Just for fun, wimoptimize --solid (same as ESD) reduced my WIM around 50% -- too bad it can't be used by W7. I've read about alternative distros which replace WinPE from W8 edition, in order to load W7 ESD images. That's too crazy for me.

I've read about alternative distros which replace WinPE from W8 edition, in order to load W7 ESD images. That's too crazy for me.

it aint needed here. dont sound too crazy if its just swapping wims(heard about this b4)

i cant see why peple just must have a 32bit and 64bit image? 2 pen drives or 2 dvd's in thin cases(or paper envelopes god forbid) dont take up a lot of space, if you worked from home and lived in a coffin i could understand.

Last edited:
ESD format only works for W8 or W10, which is why NTLite doesn't give you this option.

Just for fun, wimoptimize --solid (same as ESD) reduced my WIM around 50% -- too bad it can't be used by W7. I've read about alternative distros which replace WinPE from W8 edition, in order to load W7 ESD images. That's too crazy for me.

i always esd compress win7

ege914 how does it work on a plain W7 WinPE?

Clanger, it's a simpler argument. Most people won't actually maintain both images, because you're downloading every update twice since they're not interchangeable, and many drivers have the same issue with different versions.

I've confirmed you can install W7 ESD formats using W8 ISO images, but it's not worth the extra time unless you REALLY WANT to keep rolling AIO distributions. You need to download a random 8.1 ISO (doesn't matter which edition) to host the ESD.

Doesn't work:
1. Upgrading W7 boot.wim's DISM with the later Windows 8.1 ADK version. Unfortunately this aborts with error 0x8007000b (Failed to retrieve the WIM files's XML info).

2. Copying W8.1 boot.wim directly to the W7 sources folder. Doesn't work, reports bogus error about "A media driver your computer needs is missing".

Does work:
3. Copying W7 install.wim to the W8 sources folder. This replaces the normal W8 images, except for the boot.wim. Create ei.cfg to bypass the mandatory W8 license check, and save to ESD format.
-------

RTM W7 Ultimate SP1 x64 ISO (untrimmed) - 3.09 GB
W7 WIM format ISO (trimmed) - 2.99 GB
W7 ESD format (trimmed), hosted by 8.1 ISO - 2.46 GB

We saved 0.5 GB but required 15 GB to stage all the downloaded ISO's, image folders and final ISO output. AIO editions already save space through de-duplication, so I don't think the savings gets higher. Updates and bloated drivers are still the biggest targets.

Last edited:
3rd party drivers, .net cache, cache and temp flies, winsxs backup, update cleanups all help.
Windows Component Store (WinSxS) also saves a nice amount of space but if you need to install programs in msi format, you have to return System File Check (SFC).

Returning SFC was funny last weekend.
I have to make some more tests around it but not much time. Installed in VM, installed VM Additions and some msi programs. Didn't try drivers offline integration but I'll try because WinSxS removal in boot.win don't let integrate drivers at a latter time, I want to make sure if it's not a problem integrating drivers by now.

Chandrashekhar when new ISO size is bigger than the original, then it's due to integrated packages and drivers, or the ISO folder having other files.

- packages, updates, that is expected to increase the size a bit, not explaining the full difference

- drivers, especially NVidia drivers are known to bloat the size as they copy files for each INF. Try leaving them for after install, or if integrating make sure to integrate only the main graphics INF driver (one, not all of them) and one for audio if needed.

- also another mistake that happens with huge ISOs do is modify the image inside a folder where there were other files prior extracting the ISO into it.
Meaning if you extract the ISO to a folder which already had some files in it, or on the root of a drive, all of it is ending up in the final ISO.
So make sure to start in an empty folder.

Let us know if any of this helps and what is the result, make sure to start fresh when retrying, original ISO in an empty folder.

Thanks.

Kasual oh yeah, i forgot about winsxs and the boot.wim(i bareboned that moons ago). slimming the boot.wim(setup) should be fine for most people but winsxs wont be as most want to keep WU/updating, i prolly wouldnt have mentioned it if i had remembered. i did say flies on purpose :p

nuhi amd and intel graphics drivers are just as big. ahci/sata usb nvme(all ok) and the rest of the littlle chipset drivvers should be fine although i prefer keep those external. very annoying when the xp display driver for my old 7890k was 25mb. :mad:

Last edited:
use esd compressing
and windows 8 or 10 installation files
or use
1.1.30.0 rebase

Last edited:
Kasual oh yeah, i forgot about winsxs and the boot.wim(i bareboned that moons ago). slimming the boot.wim(setup) should be fine for most people but winsxs wont be as most want to keep WU/updating, i prolly wouldnt have mentioned it if i had remembered. i did say flies on purpose :p
Component Store (WinSxS) isn't locked/tied/needed for Windows Update, tested already installing an update.
SFC is needed for MSI installers, sfc files are listed to protect from removal, a reg file containing sfc related entries is integrated and another file edited. No issues on Component Store (WinSxS) removal.

Kasual ahh right ok, me bad for not keeping up to date. oops
(schmucky)question for ya Kas, if i remove winsxs(and backup) then on Update Cleanup i can select "none" yes?

Last edited:
Back