KB5010342 not successful due to missing files (Win 10 21H2). No hint about what is missed

Win10crippler

I tried to update, KB5010342 and got following message (German)
Installieren: KB5010342 - Kumulative Aktualisierung 19041.1526.1.5 - Die Operation erfordert fehlenden Dateien.
As I have no clue, what is missing, I cannot solve it. KB5005260 applied before (green signal).
the typical measures did not help (!) AND I want to avoid an inplace upgrade and then redo all these tweaks and removals of the telemetry framework.
At least I can tell, no edge, no cortana, no onedrive, no CEIP, etc. to mention only some of the removals.

Is there a way to identify, what is missed, then reinstall it, apply patch and remove it again?

19041.1526 working flawlessly on my PI 4 4gb .... :)

it could be possible that the iso you are using is more up to date so it doesnt need those. I could very possibly be wrong tho

Did you run WinSxS cleanup before this?
Your system is 19044.1415 (Dec 2021), so the Feb 2022 update should work fine.

Last edited:
The general rule is if you remove components, don't re-use the finished image to build new ones.

Start over with a clean ISO, apply the newest updates and re-use your old preset to customize it. DISM gets confused when it's trying to backup files which NTLite has already removed. This is a safety mechanism to prevent possible corruption.

garlin Thank You. I did it with the live installation. And of course I removed components.
So, DISM has flaws, ok.
I will not just use a mounted image but something for play and study.
maybe a next inplace upgrade may fix it, but I want to avoid that.
NTLITE has no proper settings storage mechanism, where I just can store an "image setup". I have do do it repeatedly, which is shitty. But at least I have something to strip out some of the Microsoft alien worms....

It's not a DISM flaw. Windows wasn't written to expect tools like NTLite removing hidden system packages. You can't split a CU into parts you want or don't want. So we have to follow those limitations, and do things in a specific order.

understood, It means, each removal of a component requires a kind of re-installation and image check.
If microsoft decides suddenly such component is mandatory for any update, or just because of any dependency, then one need to install, the problematic spyware, then apply the patch, then deinstall it. Each and every time.

understood, It means, each removal of a component requires a kind of re-installation and image check.
If microsoft decides suddenly such component is mandatory for any update, or just because of any dependency, then one need to install, the problematic spyware, then apply the patch, then deinstall it. Each and every time.
Btw your preset shows no removed components, probably removed them after install?

Anyway it goes like this:

- if you keep servicing stack compatibility enabled, as it is on this particular preset, you must keep it on all sessions for the Windows updating to work.

- no removal then should be able to break it, if you find a combination, please report, but need to have the actual preset or sequence of events that did it

- NTLite keeps improving, whenever I see an issue, it gets fixed, so use latest versions always.

- If you need repairing, or returning a certain component, you can also use Host Refresh method, no need to reinstall everything each time when there is an issue.

Back