LTSC Gaming/Poweruser Profile, Optimized without completely break everything. (Updated 2020-01-17)

MT_

[Updated 2020-01-17]

[Updated 2020-01-02]

NTLite Profile:

Ongoing tweaking of LTSC 2019, aimed at mimimal runtime overhead and interference for (competitive) gaming, reducing security attack vectors, whilst retaining maximum compatibility (Not breaking stuff, no guarantees though)

Component removal is pretty much where I want it to be so I don't expect more tweaking there. Profile is NOT aimed towards completely minimizing installation/iso size, as this is more catered towards a different goal.

Games do not care how much and which parts of Windows installation are actually stored on the drive, the only thing that matters is what is currently running (in the background) that could potentially interfere with a gaming session, frametimes, fps etc. The profile aims to minimize overhead, services, and anything that can NOT be disabled through services or otherwise could ruin performance, will be ripped out. Anything that CAN be disabled optionally we keep around if it might impair general compatibility. Profile is Microsoft Store Compatible.

Rest of the profile is aimed at power user configuration. Adjust to your liking, this is at the end a personal preference profile catered to myself, just sharing how I run my gaming OS :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ISO: SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_LTSC_2019_64-bit_English_MLF_X21-96425.ISO
NTLite: v1.9.0.7276 (Stable)

Prepping original .iso:
1. Integrate latest cumulative update for this Windows build. i.e. KB4530715, Integrate latest .NET3/4 cumulative update, latest servicing stack. Skip Adobe Flash Player, Skip Intel microcode updates? (Not sure on performance impact)

2. Add -> Template -> .NET Framework 3.5 (Optional, but if you use apps that still require it..)

3. Create .iso and use this to apply further tweaking i.e. apply NTLite.xml profile.

Apply customized profile:
1. Apply NTLite.xml profile.
2. Adjust to your own liking, not everything I changed might be desirable for you. Maybe I removed something that you want, and vice versa.
3. Get hardware profile from your target computers and import them into the profile. Then go to Compatibility -> Machine Support -> Select your hardware profiles. (If you don't do this, you can end up with non-functioning hardware/drivers and there will be no in-box microsoft drivers for some of your hardware! In-box drivers are often least bloated versus vendor ones, and thoroughly tested. Your mileage may vary)

I import all of it, virtual machine guests, and all the hardware I have available here at home (Different boxes)

4. Unattended, Auto-fill and use built-in Administrator account and set password. Anything else is filled in pretty much as desired out of the box.

5. Registry files:

Look them up in attachment.
THANKS TO CLANGER FOR SOME ADDITIONAL REG FILES WHICH I FOUND USEFUL !

6. Post-setup

powercfg /hibernate off (Disables hibernation file)
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited (No password expiration)
powercfg /d a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Remove unnecessary power plan)
powercfg /d 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (Remove unnecessary power plan)
bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff (No clue if it affects performance)
bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy legacy (Gives ability to press F8 for selection screen, doesnt affect boot speed)
bcdedit /set bootlog yes (Creates boot log Ntbtlog.txt file in the %WINDIR% directory, could be useful for debugging)

Some screenies:

Desktop
desktop.png

Personalization
personalization.png

Control Panel
ControlPanel.png

Services
services.png

Task Manager
taskmgr.png

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some stuff to do after installation:
1. Use OldNewExplorer tool to fix explorer windows black outline not existing in 1809, see example.
The middle and top one are broken by default, there is no 1 pixel wide black line between the white titlebar and drop shadows.

fixdirtyoutline.png

2. Apply post-registry file 'DisableFSOGlobally.reg' to disable Full Screen Optimizations system wide (At least for most DX9/10/11 games).
Its not conclusive whether it is actually desired to disable it or not. Some tests show better frametimes, albeit in margin of error.

3. Go over 'Settings' and configure everything, some sections will 'crash' settings, this is because the services for these elements are disabled (this is actually a good thing), so there really isn't much to configure there to begin with as it is already disabled from executing/interfering ;-)

Never touch the network section in 'settings' at all! This just starts adding random WAN miniport devices to device manager by default, there's nothing to configure here that cannot be configured elsewhere anyway.

4. Go over Computer management/Task scheduler/Control Panel etc and disable/configure stuffz.

This part only if you know what you're doing:

5. Use 'MSIUtil' from Guru3D forums to enable MSI on devices (Becareful, this can cause BSOD if you dont know what you're doing!)

6. Disable unnecessary devices from device manager (Just to illustrate)
i.e. Set Write cache flushing off on your gaming/windows NVMe, turn off power saving and offloading and other unnecessary functionality from network adapter.

device manager.png

7. Run LatencyMon on max core clock and check your DPC latency. I'm sitting at 5-10~us idle.

8. If you want balls deep (High chance of breaking boot with bsod);

- MSIUtil to set MSI mode and priorities. i.e. set USB/NET to High, Audio devices to Low.
- Interrupt Affinity Policy Tool can keep interrupts for devices on assigned CPU's. I put my USB and NET on core 0 (Testing showed lower latency).
- PowerSettingsExplorer; Unhide power plan settings. NVMe Idle timeouts, USB3 power saving, etc.
- TCPOptimizer useful to alter/disable network device settings.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MS Store integration possible, everything should work. Tested with a few small games in a VMware machine; Roblox, Candy Crush, etc.

Integrate: Copy to C:\ then extract and run script.

(Potentially) required services (That are potentially initially disabled by this profile):
- Windows Update
- Delivery Optimization
- Background Intelligence Transfer Service
- Network Connection Broker
- Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant
- WPNServices* (Enable through registry)
- ClipSvc (Enable through registry)
- AppReadiness (Enable through registry)

Other services may be required depending on the specific app/game.

Some services are set on manual, only trigger on running Store or UWP apps (Hence why they are not disabled but on manual)

Troubleshooting:

Ask away, maybe it is just incompatibility with your hardware/needs or wrong image/ntlite version!

Attachments

Last edited:

igacici

Hi,.. tried this preset on 17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us and mounted (at least tried) on VMWare, but installation didn't work well, it reported some error...

Attachments

MT_

Hi,.. tried this preset on 17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us and mounted (at least tried) on VMWare, but installation didn't work well, it reported some error...
I see.

Well, could be anything, from different Windows build, different VMWare etc.. Try 3D Accel off or on in VMware perhaps? Since its related to dwm.exe?

Kasual

Try to check VMWare in Compatibility as it would need some components not needed for non-virtual machines.

MT_

But the profile already inherits VMWare support and corresponding drivers, or did you take then out/redo profile?

igacici

MT_ ... I don't know what happened, maybe something when I added drivers from/for host machine, I mean my notebook... anyway this weekend I'll look at this deeper...

MT_

Why is it 2 power policy setting in post setup :O
Theres usually 3 profiles but with new win 10 builds some editions have 'Ultimate' setting. So I default delete Power saver and the old High Performance.

Since nobody has ever complained about performance degradation on the new profile or otherwise performance issues, I just decide to remove anything but Balanced and Ultimate :)

Still wise to go over the profiles manually yourself as well, as there are hidden entries like NVMe timeout states which can be adjusted. Default is like 200/2000ms.

PowerSettingsExplorer is what its called.
I also use it for USB3 Powersaving, Interrupt routing and disable core parking through GUI (min cores)

dezn

Almost perfect but not there yet. Still lots of issues after testing this out.
1- 209GB out of 232gb on a fresh install, where has my 10-15 GB gone? I get 218 GB on my non modified OS.
2- Firefox has a smooth scrolling issue with this after testing it out thoroughly and no other browsers seem to have this issue. Weird.
3- Media feature pack is needed for certain applications to run.
4- Startisback is having issues with linking the apps to the start menu
5- I'd recommend you uninstall and remove the network drivers as well so you can manually install everything.

Nitpicky but I feel like this is almost perfect just need help with these issues.

banko84

MT_ thanks a lot for your hard work.

Have some questions.
Is it possible for You to create a less Gutted version of Your profile?

**** First things first. I'm using your preset as base for Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1809!
NB! I have not integrated latest Security Cumulative of Windows and NET3/4. Do you have a good link to a tutorial?

When using Your profile, things that won't work or are not correctly working:

1. Skype Metro app won't work (tried Enabling Windows Update Service, logging in to Windows App Store and reinstalling it)
  2. Kind of missing Notifications Panel, since it has several handy buttons for usage like "bluetooth" [yes some people use it occasionally :)],
ScreenSnip direct buttons, Nigh Light, Project, Tablet mode (For when you have a Touchscreen Laptop) and etc.
3) Do I absolutely have to make a Premeditated User with password?
Enable Auto-attend -> Autofill -> Create account and simple use built-in administrator, give it a name, password, change timezone and done.
4)Added My modified Preset to this post (based on yours).

Additionally info about my Preferences (Use Case scenarios):
I'm using
SmartCard / for Estonian ID Card usage!
WWAN Support for USB Internet Dongles (From local ISP vendors)
Printers
Streaming Software like Spotify
Using a lot of DLNA (Meaning media from my NAS).
Projector Connecting / Secondary Display possibilities in general!
Gaming
SketchUp Modelling
Virtualizing with 3rd party Apps like VMWare, VirtualBox
Encoding/Decoding Video/Audio (Asio support needed)
3rd party USB-C/USB-A Audio units
**** Although MS account login is not necessary / is it possible to let it be used if needed?
Heavy Web media usage!

Attachments

Last edited:

MT_

Almost perfect but not there yet. Still lots of issues after testing this out.
1- 209GB out of 232gb on a fresh install, where has my 10-15 GB gone? I get 218 GB on my non modified OS.
2- Firefox has a smooth scrolling issue with this after testing it out thoroughly and no other browsers seem to have this issue. Weird.
3- Media feature pack is needed for certain applications to run.
4- Startisback is having issues with linking the apps to the start menu
5- I'd recommend you uninstall and remove the network drivers as well so you can manually install everything.

Nitpicky but I feel like this is almost perfect just need help with these issues.
Perhaps the 16GB pagefile addressed? Like the title says, its not an 'absolutely minimized' LTSC build as that would indeed break more than it fixes. Whatever runs in memory is still more important than stripping out literally 90% that is not even touched in runtime cases.

I can run Sea of thieves on this build and tried Candy Crush just to see if it all worked, which it does. But there is so much different use case scenarios its impossible for 1 man to test possibly all pieces of software :p

Also differences in Windows builds/security patches etc... At the end people should probably use profiles as a blueprint and work themselves up from there to find what they think works best.

For personal usage, I just make sure that nothing that does not help me in any way with gaming gets unloaded out of memory, I dont even care that much for the actual installation footprint. Runtime performance > space used.

Clanger

At the end people should probably use profiles as a blueprint and work themselves up from there to find what they think works best.
:cool: There aint no one size fits all in this game. If there are 100 NTLite users(for instance) then there will be 100 different configurations.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT_

qou

Hello,
Thanks for sharing your profile, any idea how to fix this error 0x80080206 when trying to install Sea of Thieves?

Reactions: MT_