Master/Edit toggle

olivered

A toggle switch on the main application ribbon: "Remastering(slow)/ Edit(fast) toggle Mode"
In edit mode, compression on wim is disabled/reduced and certain options like make ESD are disabled.
Additionally each run of edits is saved to the temporary directory, but not the WIM.
In remastering mode, maximum compression possible is used for WIM's and ESD's.
Switching modes from edit to remaster requires edits be first saved and image reloaded.

Thoughts?

Hi,

while presets cover to some extent - set to ESD and ISO destination for mastering and save, set to no saving or WIM compression when editing, I do understand that a mode switch would be more flexible across images.

Regarding a WIM being read-only, that fits into the next task of ISO handling. I rather you can right-click on a WIM and decide "Revert to source", than not to save the WIM. The WIM being loaded is always the one being edited and saved to (that's how Mounting works), but how do we handle the initial load and prompting for the temporary directory is being planned.

Let me point to the Source - Tools, all of these are just mods of operation reusing the tool's capabilities and automating certain tasks.
I was planning next for the Component removal, a mode switch, the 'no Windows Update' (removes much more), and 'keep Windows Update compatibility' (removes less in WinSxS and limits certain removals) modes.
Now that you mentioned an image handling mode, it is starting to get interesting and why I'm writing this much while thinking about it...
Interestingly the fast WIM handling mode/lockdown is already used in the Host Refresh tool. It locks certain operations to speed up getting to that update WIM, preventing the user to slow the process down more than necessary.

The only complaint I have about the image handling mode is the unnecessary decision complexity.
I mean it's so simple to switch to a WIM or not save image after processing, that I am struggling to see the need for locking it any further.
Those Apply - Image tasks - Saving mode switches are there for that reason, to choose if you want the image unmounted, saved, etc.

With the new info about the upcoming read-only ISO feature, WIM reversion, master preset handling, do you still need something in that workflow with the image modes idea?

Thanks!

Not read-only.

Toggle influences how runs are processed and applied.
A run is everything you do from load -> save.
Edit mode is for quick multiple runs- run 1, feature reconfiguration. run 2, component removal. run 3, add files manually to temp dir. If necessary, changes are committed to wim automatically but only MINIMAL/NO compression is used to accelerate the cycle.
Then user toggles Switch to remaster. Changes are saved to WIM with good compression, and with ESD, maximum compression is used.

Edit mode must be entered for each wim, but a wim can remain in edit mode when unloaded. It is simply a preset toggle flag and an uncompressed wim.

*make iso would require automatically taking wim out of edit mode or warning user(this wim is uncompressed, you could save a lot of space by taking it out of edit mode).

Back