Microsoft.UI.Xaml, Microsoft Visual C++ UWP Runtime, Windows Package Manager MSIX

Hello!

Are these 2 items (Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.8.x64 and Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.Desktop) no longer being integrated into the image in version 2024.4.9910?

What you hinted at is that the 2 items are now grouped together (frameworks grouped with the main application instead of individually), is that correct?

See the images below:
1713839607101.png
1713839636926.png

This group of optional MSIX updates is offered for the sole purpose of installing the current winget-CLI app (DesktopAppInstaller) and its dependencies.

If you don't import any other UWP framework libraries, then WU will silently update all installed UWP packages shortly after installation unless WU or Store App updates have been disabled.

This group of optional MSIX updates is offered for the sole purpose of installing the current winget-CLI app (DesktopAppInstaller) and its dependencies.

If you don't import any other UWP framework libraries, then WU will silently update all installed UWP packages shortly after installation unless WU or Store App updates have been disabled.
So it will no longer be necessary to integrate the 2 items mentioned, as WU itself will install them after installing Windows?

Every update from the Updates Downloader is optional. Some users may have real reasons for not installing a specific update, especially if they have disabled automatic updates.

The list of suggested updates has two goals:
- Minimize the work WU has to do after a clean install
- Meet the strict security requirements some organizations have about bringing an unpatched system on the network.

Microsoft.UI.Xaml and Visual C++ UWP Runtime will be updated by WU, but it doesn't happen immediately on a clean install. Instead you will have to wait for a while before the process begins. Every app package has a list of dependencies, and to integrate the latest winget, those two frameworks must be updated in the image.

If you don't care about winget, then ignore the listed Appx updates. The main issue is whether winget can run earlier in the installation process, or you have to wait until later (after WU updates in the background).

I just want it to go back to what it was before, the 3 were already integrated into the image, but now only 1 is integrated.

Precisely to avoid the work of WU and having to restart the machine

Before the March 2024 releases, NTLite didn't automatically update any of the Appx packages for you. Unless you removed any of those 3 packages, they already existed in the image but as older versions.

Unlike the Monthly Updates, there is no single list of latest Appx package versions and downloads available to the public. The closest thing is using store.rg-adguard.net's API and extracting links for individual files. So you always had to find your own copies of updated apps, and add them to the install image.

NTLite can find those 3 app packages because they're shared as part of winget's GitHub release. If the GitHub versions are newer, they will be integrated or otherwise ignored as duplicates. Someone updating an old release like 21H2 will see more changes than someone with 23H2, or a newer build from UUP dump (which possibly has newer apps already inside the image).

You're trying to argue this is a problem. It's not, NTLite does the right thing.

I'm not saying it's a problem.

I'm just a regular Windows user and I'm thinking about purchasing an NTLite license for my own use.

And when I discovered the Windows NTLite image editing program I was very happy, because it does an excellent job.

I was just curious why this change was made in the last version mentioned at the opening of this topic.

But I appreciate your willingness and time to explain the issue to me.

Back