New Automatic pure runonce switch?

tharri

I use RunOnceEx. How do I take advantage of the new feature listed in today's patch notes?

Post-Setup-User: Automatic pure runonce switch for images without Internet Explorer (no runonceex, e.g. Server Core)

If your image has runonceex, it will use it, no reason to switch to a lesser runonce.
It is automatic while using the Post-setup - User section.
Let me know if I missed the point, thanks.

If your image has runonceex, it will use it, no reason to switch to a lesser runonce.
It is automatic while using the Post-setup - User section.
Let me know if I missed the point, thanks.

What if I don't use the Post Setup - User Section, but I instead just modify HKLM-RunOnceEx key directly?

If you're asking would NTLite change your own edits, then no, it doesn't do what it wasn't instructed and listed on the Apply page before Process.

If you're asking would NTLite change your own edits, then no, it doesn't do what it wasn't instructed and listed on the Apply page before Process.

No, I mean would the Automatic pure runonce switch still work without Internet Explorer if I apply the changes to the registry directly?

Or do I have to use the Post-Setup User Section in order for the workaround to work?

That's a Windows question.
RunOnceEx requires IE, but NTLite protects those core files if the image had them in the first place and post-setup user is used, Server Core does not so use RunOnce (non-ex) instead.

I don't know what Server Core is, so just to be clear, NTLite always protects those core files (if the image has them), even if you don't explicitly protect them or use the Post-Setup User section?

That's a Windows question.
RunOnceEx requires IE, but NTLite protects those core files if the image had them in the first place and post-setup user is used, Server Core does not so use RunOnce (non-ex) instead.

Could you please clarify this? I currently change the HKLM RunOnceEx directly via the registry. Will those commands execute without using the Post-Setup user page to set them up?

I don't know what Server Core is, so just to be clear, NTLite always protects those core files (if the image has them), even if you don't explicitly protect them or use the Post-Setup User section?
I sucessfully tested RunOnceEx on Server Core too on my upcoming script tool POWIS, based on OOBE.cmd tutorial and Autorun.dll patcher. POWIS is clear solution for all Windows versions from Vista and newer without any patching system dlls.
Could you please clarify this? I currently change the HKLM RunOnceEx directly via the registry. Will those commands execute without using the Post-Setup user page to set them up?
Your RunOnceEx is driven by iernonce.dll + iernonce.dll.mui + IEAdvpack.dll. So yes RunOnceEx is executed on it´s own as is build-in Windows component. Even If you remove Internet Explorer it should work as NTLite have protected needed files for RunOnceEx.

Back