New user - Install ISO with apps

Hollywood

Hi,
I am new here and I bought the license for home use. NTLite is a great program and easy to understand. I have been playing around with good results. I am testing on my two PC desktops, not in a virtual machine.

I have created an ISO that has EDGE, SmartScreen, and OOBE removed. I was able to add updates and drivers too. I made several other setting changes mostly for privacy. ...and the ISO installed!

I then tried to lock down more privacy settings (OOShutup) after the install and add apps with NINITE. I also copied some apps that work in "portable" mode to the default\roaming dir. I even made a folder there with some notes and such for me to use after the install. ....so far so good.

I ran Sysprep with "/generalize" to create an image with the apps. After Sysprep was run and the machine shutdown I rebooted to USB Hirin's boot CD. I ran DISM to create a new install.wim and used AnyBurn to create a new ISO from the original one with the new install.wim replacing the original. ....also so far so good.

All of that was from guides and youtubes. My issues and questions are:
1. When NTLite lists the updates, some are checked by default, but some are not. I can check the top box and it checks them all. Why are some unchecked by default?

2. When preparing my install for an image, obviously there is a user (me) logged in to use Windows. I assume the screens where you enter the new user name, passwords, etc is the OOBE. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not opposed to my new image using my installed user account, OR ask for a new name and password (preferred). I just want to create a new user and use the data in the default\roaming dir rather then create one after the install and then delete the existing one. Shouldn't "/Generalize" create the image without the original user?

3. My new install image does install, but when I get to the Enter New User Name, Password, etc, most times that process loops to the beginning. Sometimes it retains the info I entered, sometimes not. I tried Shift-F10 to skip ahead. The results were not consistent, but most time I got an install with the new user name. I later found that Ctrl-Shift + F3 stabilizes those new user screens. Also if the computer that I Sysprep'ed has never been online, I usually had less problems.

4. So, is it possible to create a custom image without current created user (other then "default") and not need to press Ctrl-Shift + F3?

I am having fun playing with all of this. My best attempt at a custom image did save all of my installed and portable app and most settings. I realize a new user account will have some of the settings to default, but the results I got were AWESOME and will save a LOT of time when I install or reinstall to my 4 computers if I can get past question 4,

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

1. When NTLite lists the updates, some are checked by default, but some are not. I can check the top box and it checks them all. Why are some unchecked by default?
Those updates are for optional features.

.NET 4.8 is universal to all W10/11 releases -- but .NET 4.8.1 was released last year and not yet required for any applications. Secure Boot DBX is an UEFI update (unrelated to Windows) it can cause problems with specific PC's with older firmware.

2. When preparing my install for an image, obviously there is a user (me) logged in to use Windows. I assume the screens where you enter the new user name, passwords, etc is the OOBE. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not opposed to my new image using my installed user account, OR ask for a new name and password (preferred). I just want to create a new user and use the data in the default\roaming dir rather then create one after the install and then delete the existing one. Shouldn't "/Generalize" create the image without the original user?
Generalized images don't have a primary user, but are you running autounattend which then creates an user? You can create one or more users before OOBE, using the Add local account wizard or Post-Setup commands for "net use".

3. My new install image does install, but when I get to the Enter New User Name, Password, etc, most times that process loops to the beginning. Sometimes it retains the info I entered, sometimes not. I tried Shift-F10 to skip ahead. The results were not consistent, but most time I got an install with the new user name. I later found that Ctrl-Shift + F3 stabilizes those new user screens. Also if the computer that I Sysprep'ed has never been online, I usually had less problems.

4. So, is it possible to create a custom image without current created user (other then "default") and not need to press Ctrl-Shift + F3?
From this explanation, I'm still not clear what you're doing. Windows will create a primary user if one is defined in autounattend, when there isn't then OOBE will walk you thru the steps. If you prevent OOBE from finishing (removing OOBE components/disabling the wrong services), then it never really finishes. You run the risk it loops, or leaves a broken environment where you can't logon.

I think it's easier if you back up, explain what you're trying to do with generalization.

Sysprep can be cranky so dont try to be flash harry, you want a clean default type capture as if ms built it themselves, ntlite works very well with a "ms like" captured wim, you can go for broke later.

Besides, if you try to ntlite a flash harry capture and something breaks users will straight away blame ntlite when the problem is between keyboard and chair, Pebkac.

THANK YOU! for your help.

Like I said, I created a new install image (ISO) from NTLite that has several changes as far as privacy is concerned. Some of my attempts installed, but looped somewhere after I put in the new user info to the install on the computer. Since I had inconstant problems with the new user process, I then tried to build an install ISO deleting OOBE. It was a suggestion on some forum. I know "I seen it on the internet" doesn't get a lot of credibility. As it was, even deleting OOBE from the NTLite build did not seem to make much of a difference. After installation, I was always prompted to a new user account. Is that the OOBE, or am I misunderstanding?

I am pretty sure my NTLite Install.ISO will be ok although I am not sure if I should I should delete OOBE (or not) from it. (please confirm).

My goal is to then create a Windows 11 build with updates, some installed software, some portable apps put in the /default/roaming dir, and some settings. I realize some setting will go to default when a new user is created. I then want to build a new install ISO with those apps, installed software, and some settings. I then used Sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown command line as an admin (I also tried with the Sysprep non-command line buy running as administrator way), then booted to Hirin's boot CD and used dism to create a new install.wim and use AnyBurn to replace the install.wim to the original ISO. Another question... should I have replaced the new install.wim in the original windows ISO or the one I built in NTLite?

So I created a NTLite install ISO that works, and I would like to customize an installed build as I wrote above and create new install_wApps ISO.

I was able to do that, but every attempt to install on a computer hangs or loops at the user creation screen unless I press CTRL-Shift +F3 AND the installation still contains the original user that I used to create my template build.

I can use CTRL-Shift +F3 and install the custom Windows, and then delete the old user and it's roaming folder, BUT what am I doing wrong that the new install.wim still has the old user and why is the new user creation hang or require CTRL-Shift +F3?

Once the installation is complete, it is EXACTLY what I want (except the original user).

Should I NOT delete OOBE from the original NTLite install?
What am I doing wrong that my Sysprep still has the original user in the install.wim?
What am I doing wrong that the user creation hangs or loops?

Thanks again!

Generalized images don't have a primary user, but are you running autounattend which then creates an user? You can create one or more users before OOBE, using the Add local account wizard or Post-Setup commands for "net use".
I am not sure what that means, but after I got the new computer installation how I want, I use as admin, Sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown.

-----------------------------------------
When I installed Windows on the machine with my created NTLite ISO, I created a user called TEMP_User. I installed some software and copied to the /default/roaming dir some portable apps.

After building the new image with sysprep and dism, I reinstalled with the new ISO. (other then the loop problems I bypassed with CTRL-Shift+F3) my new Windows installed and asked me to create a user. I created "WIN User". The new user had all of the stuff that was in the default user roaming folder into the Win User roaming folder and the installed software and some global settings. PERFECT!

The only issues are the need for CTRL-Shift +F3 AND why the sysprep image still contains the user TEMP_User.

Sorry for repeating myself, but I am just trying to be clear. Thanks again to anyone that can help. The New User looping seems to be a big problem on forum topics, but there doesn't seem to be a clear fix, so I hope someone here can help.

Back