NTLite Live sometimes shuts down Explorer

pmikep

NTLite 2.0.0.7726 64-bit.

When running a Live Win10 2004, and doing some Tweak Changes, Windows' Explorer (i.e., the Desktop) shuts down at the end of NTLite processing. I have to manually restart it in Task Manager.

Just me or others?

Code:
<Settings>
            <TweakGroup name="DesktopTweaks">
                <Tweak name="ContentDeliveryManager\SoftLandingEnabled">0</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="Explorer\DisableNotificationCenter">1</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="QuietHours\Enable">0</Tweak>
            </TweakGroup>
            <TweakGroup name="Privacy">
                <Tweak name="phoneCall\Value">Deny</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="radios\Value">Deny</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="ContentDeliveryManager\SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled">0</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="InputPersonalization\AllowInputPersonalization">0</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="AnqpCache\OsuRegistrationStatus">0</Tweak>
            </TweakGroup>
            <TweakGroup name="System">
                <Tweak name="System\HideFastUserSwitching">1</Tweak>
            </TweakGroup>
            <TweakGroup name="WindowsUpdate">
                <Tweak name="DriverSearching\SearchOrderConfig">3</Tweak>
                <Tweak name="Device Metadata\PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork">1</Tweak>
            </TweakGroup>
        </Settings>

Ah, okay. Well, these last few times, explorer did not restart for me.

Probably just me. But I suppose we'll hear about it if happening to others lately.

I think I had all my explorer folders close unexpectedly a few days ago, while I was also doing NTLite stuff, I never figured out what caused it. I didn't actually notice it happening, I could have clicked something weirdl or hit a hotkey. But i'll keep my eyes open for this the next time I compile an ISO.

This just never happens tho, so it's suspicious. Because I had a lot of folders open and doing customizations with other things (drivers, programs, files), it was infact quite annoying to remember everything and reopen the stuff back up.

Host: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB x64 En-US
NTLite version: 2.0.0.7618

It always happens to me when NTLite Live is processing "Windows Defender." Even tho I removed Defender in the wim.

Try Remove Reinstalls and see if it happens to you too.

I found why Explorer wasn't restarting on its own.

I had used Clanger's (super aggressive) Task Scheduler tweak file to disable a lot of tasks.

(Fortunately for me, I modified the batch file so that it only disabled - not removed - the tasks.)

Among the tasks disabled were "Restart Manager." Apparently NTLite calls this task/service(?) when Explorer shuts down. Re-enabling Restart Manager allowed Explorer to restart on its own.

(I found this error by looking at Event Viewer, which is a tool that I've not used before.)

I had used Clanger's (super aggressive) Task Scheduler tweak file to disable a lot of tasks.
it does say Barebone on the tin

(Fortunately for me, I modified the batch file so that it only disabled - not removed - the tasks.)
good lad, thats the spirit, cherry pick.

Among the tasks disabled were "Restart Manager." Apparently NTLite calls this task/service(?) when Explorer shuts down. Re-enabling Restart Manager allowed Explorer to restart on its own.
it is the 8.1 file you are using? i'll remove that on a new version then, good find.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the 8.1 file.

As for Name and Location, the last thing that I did to my Win10 install was to run Remove Reinstalls with NTLite. Now the actual entries for Restart Manager are gone.

NTLite.1.jpg

In any event, attached is my latest trimmed version of your bat cmd file.

Attachments

• W8.1-Scheduled-Tasks-mikes.cmd.txt
    9.3 KB
pmikep Restart Manager is not in my file. either it didnt exist, i didnt touch it or its not in 8.1 in my edition. its not in w7 either.
the current file is W8.1-Scheduled-Tasks-2019-03-01.cmd, you may have used an earlier version, i need to check my storage. what is my task file filename you have? actually upload it here please.

Last edited:
You're right. I just ran a vanilla 20H2 in a VM and cannot find Restart Manager in Win 10. I don't know if it was in mine because it came that way from the Dell refurbisher or from 1909.

i am certain you have asked my about a task or service that your 8.1 had but mine didnt, more likely a task.

Back