NTLite "Source" question - point of clarification

steve2267

When slipstreaming drivers and Windows updates into a Windows image, say a Windows 7 Professional x64 image, am I correct in my understanding that the "Mounted Image" one configures as the "Source" is modified by NTLite?

Specifically, when I unpack a Windows ISO into, for example, into D:\Win7Pro_x64, start NTLite, set the "Source" to D:\Win7Pro_x64, "load" the Professional image such that "3. Windows 7 Professional" is highlighted in grey with a green ball icon displayed to its left, and then apply Windows Updates and drivers to that "Source"... the files inside D:\Win7Pro_x64 are modified by NTLite, correct?

So if my goal is to create multiple Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO's for installation on different systems (e.g. Dell XPS 13, Dell m4600, Panasonic Toughbook etc), should I
  1. Create a "common" Windows 7 Professional x64 folder to which I apply only Windows Updates, e.g. D:\Win7Pro_x64_updates
  2. Then copy that folder to new folders, one for each system w/ unique drivers? e.g. D:\Win7Pro_x64_updates_Dell_m4600

I do integrate basic drivers, mouse drivers are excluded because elantech and synaptics drivers are installed all together, audio and video drivers are excluded because takes too much drive space.

@steve2267, correct about the loaded Source being modified on Apply.
Btw there is a good Apply preview list on the right of that page, it should clarify this.

1. that's a good method to save time integrating updates over and over if you want to do some testing
2. drivers rarely clash, so you can integrate all combinations into one image, Windows uses PNP detection during setup and choses only the needed ones for the underlying hardware.

Back