"Optimize image file structure (Export WIM)" extremely slow & one session-crash, NTLite v2.1.2.8041

dkdubya2

During a late-night 1st session ( NtLite, v.2.1.2.8041, everything worked smoothly when processing, until it got to "Optimze image file structure (Export WIM)", where it slowed like a snail then crashed & closed at 36% after running 6 hours (I didn't catch the moment of the crash), & currently with the 2nd session where I had to load from a preset named, "Auto-saved 1ffafbc", it's only gotten to 42% after 5 hours & while the progress circle is spinning/thickening, it's still painfully slow-going.

Before I found the auto saved preset (no copy in the extracted Windows files folder), I noticed the same news taskbar widget error where nothing could be changed mentioned by someone else earlier today, but loading the auto saved preset restored the removal I had done in a session just prior to the latest update (I never auto-update).

In addition to the strange preset choice (only available in the "Preset" menu), I noticed that neither the preset or the Ntite.log file saved into the extracted Windows files folder, only the log file in the Users/Appdata Temp folder, this is most likely due to the prior crash-point.

I should add, that space in the Windows VM I'm using for NtLite sessions is not an issue-so I'm just letting this current session run it's course (now at 43% as I post), with my 1st hope being that it gets to backing up the log & preset before creating an ISO without another crash, otherwise my 2nd hope is that Nuhi is working hard & fast on the next update!

-dkdubya2

Hi,

exporting WIM (not ESD?) is a Windows operation, if it has issues, it's 99% either the hardware, temporary disk full, or some antivirus is hanging the process (see in task manager sorted by CPU).

Taskbar widget error in a second session I presume, not to worry, it's just a UI/setting parsing, has nothing to do with Exporting or anything.

OK, the further log locations might indicate that the temporary location is messed up, what is selected for File - Settings - Temporary folder?
Also attach the %temp%\ntlite.log of that hanged session.

Hi Nuhi,

I never do ESD compression because I've always had wonky issues with reconverted install.wim images, just plain ol' unlucky in that regard.

I trashed the ntlite.log since the logging stopped at doing the export before the subsequent crash, which it didn't mention. However, it turns out the issue was not NtLite at all, it was the Win. 10 VM GPO settings I had spent 3 hours tweaking to export towards using on my pending, official PC Win. 10 install.

I forgot to apply them via a gpupdate command, which really messed up the Virtualbox VM when I cold-booted it, slowing down everything; I only discovered this overall issue after I chose to shutdown the 2nd NtLite session, because using the program is normally the very first thing I do whenever I boot the VM.

So once I imported the tweaked GPO settings, properly applied them & rebooted, NtLite processed normally, & actually a bit faster than it had before!

Back