Optional Features Skipped from Removal?

I tried it myself, and it worked. DirectPlay, Legacy Components, and StepsRecorder don't overlap the Speech API side.

Untitled2.png

Next step would be sharing your NTLite.log(s) and preset.

Here is the entire xml. I tried it on two different versions of NTLite on the 20h2 pro iso with .NET 3.5 integrated.

Attachments

• Features.xml
    5.3 KB
Source image is 19042.631, which is not the 20H2 RTM or GA builds (508 or 572). Maybe the error would go away if you tried the original 20H2 ISO, before integrating your updates.

Source image is 19042.631, which is not the 20H2 RTM or GA builds (508 or 572). Maybe the error would go away if you tried the original 20H2 ISO, before integrating your updates.

19042.631 is the 20H2 v2 iso from December with no updates.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_10_October_2020_Update

If you're using a later build (usually from MSDN or Insider), it means some updates already integrated. They are working images, but applying updates or removing features can lead to weird problems not seen with RTM. I'm not saying that's happening here, but it's easier to compare notes when everyone begins from the same image.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_10_October_2020_Update

If you're using a later build (usually from MSDN or Insider), it means some updates already integrated. They are working images, but applying updates or removing features can lead to weird problems not seen with RTM. I'm not saying that's happening here, but it's easier to compare notes when everyone begins from the same image.

It's not a special build though. Microsoft offers two versions of the 20h2 iso. I'm using the newer version.

win10v2.png

Point taken. I'm not sure why someone at Microsoft created this, since "20H2 v2" it not an official designation.
The other versions are the correct milestones. Any way, give me the URL and I'll try on both editions.

Also, any reason you're not on 21H1 (soon to be H2)?

I use this tool to access older isos:

It merely generates links to download the isos directly from Microsoft since Microsoft doesn't like to make old versions easily accessible on their website. If you don't want to download the tool, you can use the link I generated for you. It expires in 24 hours.

https://software-download.microsoft...1635285402&h=398298811ee338454759acef52d2d3d3

I don't use 21h1 because input lag for gaming is much better on 20h2.

I was confused why an official download would present Dec 2020. HEIdoc's change log says they specifically added a "v2".
OK, will try to repro this in a bit.

Digging deeper and reading btw the footnotes, MS quietly replaced the RTM with v2 in MCT downloads. I suspect the Kerberos security bug fixes forced this unusual step, because they didn't want unpatched images.

Back to solving your problem: This preset finished without error on both 20H2 and v2 releases. Your NTLite is somewhat behind (June 2021), might want to try upgrading that.

The last hope is looking at the NTLite.log for errors.

I found the problem. For some reason, DISM Resetbase prevents Typing and Text to Speech from being removed, but nothing else. I used the same preset on a stock wim with Custom (Complete) and it worked properly. Thank you for your help.

If you're using the current NTLite, and this problem happens again -- report it to nuhi.

I tested the newest version as you suggested and had the same issue. In general, I've found that doing things in steps rather than one large xml file produces a much smaller iso.

Never mind. I can't seem to replicate it. The only way it seems I can delete those two features is if I delete them alone, with no cleanup. It's so weird. I've done this so many times, and 95% of the time I can't delete them. I finally got a stock wim with just the language components deleted, though, so I will just save it for future use.

Back