Presets for work/school environments?

Jamal Leon

Anybody have any xml files they would like to share of Windows 10 with only components and features for work/school environments.

When you're in a work or school environment, avoid removing components or disabling services. You don't know what software you might be required to run in the future. Spending time to fix your Windows doesn't help with studying.

The popular presets are listed here (link). The main things would be to enable the high performance power plan so that the computer is snappier, also pause/disable Windows Update, OneDrive, and syncing, since they can all be a burden on weaker computers, Wi-Fi, or low internet speeds, and have the potential to cause various issues.

As someone that strives for high productivity myself, I can tell you that most of your efficiency will come from learning how to be organized, your workspace setup, the tools and websites you use, your health, and the knowledge you gain along the way. Here's some tips:

- Google is a superior search engine, don't waste time on Bing or anything else
- Learn boolean logic (how to use quotes in web searches, the dash key to exclude terms, etcetera)
- Use a fast web browser (Chrome) and always install an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin)
- Go through all the settings in your browser and optimize them, and disable unused features
- Google docs is trash for grammar/spellchecking, Word is superior for mass document editing
- Customize all the options in your word processor (set the defaults to your preferences)
- Create an organized workspace (separate folders for each project or class, use camel spacing in labels)
- A file compare tool, such as DiffMerge by SourceGear, can be useful for checking differences between files
- GIMP is the best free alternative to Adobe PhotoShop and other related programs
- Don't use OpenAI or other bots for school, you will fail out since everything produced by them is pure plagiarism
- Don't be afraid to read Wikipedia, even if you can't use it as a reference, the information can guide your Googling
- Learn how to type properly using home row keys, shoot for 60 words per minute with 100% accuracy
- If using a laptop, get a real mouse to attach, it will make you work faster than the touchpad
- If using a desktop, buy a "mechanical" keyboard, they produce less mistakes and allow for higher typing speeds
- Optimize your router settings, use OpenDNS or GoogleDNS, test for the lowest interference channel on Wi-Fi
- Uninstall video games during the school year/semester/quarter, you get them back after it's over
- Give yourself achievable goals/rewards, "If I get all my work done today then I can get on Tinder afterwards"
- Listening to instrumental-only music can help some people (classical, orchestral, techno, house, etcetera)
- Supplements are a big deal, research "nootropics" to learn more, things like caffeine are a nootropic
- Improve your health (exercise, keto diet, no smoking/alcohol) to increase energy and improve cognition

Last edited:
Back