Previous Versions/System Restore Problem? (may have derped)

BrokenDaily

So the problem is that I had my computer setup where I could make system restore points, and in-case I deleted a file that I really needed, I right click (for example) the desktop folder in my user profile folder, go to previous versions tab, and I could choose whatever restore point existed to pull that copy back

did some research and most of it says you can't use the shadow copy service with system restore point and pull copies out, its all file history now; yet I forgot how it was setup originally and I want to make sure my ntlite preset didn't remover anything needed to make this work. If any help can be given, please check my preset and tell me what I need to re-check to get this fixed; attachment is as follows

Attachments

• Preset Test.xml
    21.1 KB
Hi,

I tried your preset and Previous Versions tab is intact.
Was there a particular issue, or what is different from full Windows in this regards, after using this preset?

Thanks.

nothing, just in older versions of windows 10, without messing with file history (literally doing nothing at all), I could pull backups of my files straight from the system restore points I make through the previous versions tab when I right click a folder or file

now I can't, tenforums and others saying its all on file history; a workaround was found using the shadowexplorer program (which I used heavily back in my vista days). if I really can't pull copies of files from the system restore points/previous versions tab without setting up file history to back it all up to a different drive, then that just sucks :(

Back