[Prompt] for Computer Name crashes setup

preiner

Im using NTLITE Paid with Win11 22H2 and wanted to do a full unattended install but I did want to be prompted for the computer name.

When I got to the unattend tab, I pressed fill in and then changed computer name using the dropdown list box to %prompt. I did NOT manually type in anything as to avoid any typo related issues.

Setup seems to be installing just fine, but very late in the install it throws an error. Shift F10 and looking in the setupact.log file indicates that autounattend is invalid and that there is an issue with the shell-setup section of the specialize phase and then references an empty computer name.

Looking @ \windows\panther\... and \windows\setup\... the files and scripts directories are empty except for a 0 byte setupcomplete.cmd file.

That makes sense since I never see the GUI pop up to ask me to enter one.

Looking at ntlite.log I dont really see any entries related to this section

For debugging purposes, I changed %prompt% to %serial% again using the drop down dialog box. This time I see an entry in setupcomplete.cmd that deletes nlcomputername.vbs and I see an entry in autounattend.xml. But it still blows.

Thats better, but where the nlcomputername.vbs file?

I think NTLITE isnt adding the shell-setup area in autounattend under some wierd condition that I see to have set.
Is there a way to crank up logging level in ntlite?

How should I proceed?

I have enclosed an autounattend.xml file and ntlite.log and preset files for %prompt% and %serial% tests.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Auto-saved ba8d37fa.xml
    9.3 KB
  • auto-saved e7a09824.xml
    9.9 KB
  • autounattend.xml
    5.8 KB
  • NTLite.log
    49.5 KB
Hi,
when the Computer name is set to Prompt, then a script is inserted to make that possible.
But, if copying files individually, you need to copy .\autounattend.xml and .\Sources\install.wim to the destination, as both work in tandem to make it possible.
This error I can only imagine if only .\autounattend.xml was copied to a final deployment image.

Let me know if that helps.

Hi,
I am not copying any files at all. I simply loaded an original windows 11 image and applied the template. The template created an ISO which is failing as described.

You can see from the generated autounattend that there is no section even referencing computer name. Can I turn on debug level ntlite logging?

OK, in that case tested your prompt preset (auto-saved e7a09824).
All fine, got this attached prompt, garlin beat me to it.
Please retry.

Attachments

• 2023-02-23-18-01-35.png
    2023-02-23-18-01-35.png
    8.6 KB
Further update: my test install got stuck, so I reset the VM and it was stuck again. Shift-F10 was disabled.

Bizarre. I have a crazy idea. Gonna see if this is it.
I am running this in HyperV and VMWare Workstation and when I boot from the ntlite.iso I have to press a key very quickly at boot time for the CD to continue booting.

Just due to the way HV and VMW work, there is a long pause during vm initialization and then the screen inits with the message "press a key..." but there is very little time to respond. I have to rapidly press the kbd in time and actually I have to retry 2-3 times because i just cant do it fast enough.

Im just wondering if these keystrokes are getting buffered and passed on to the msgbox and causing some issue.

This is hard to debug because setup just hangs at the "one moment" screen. You cant use shift-f10 so you have to kill them VM and mount it to view the setup logs. And all the logs just show that the hostname of [prompt] is invalid. Thats seems bizzare. I would have thought [prompt] is a keyword for ntlite which causes the script to be inserted prompting for hostname instead of passing the literal

I found an article today that shows how to replace the bootloader with one that doesnt require you to press a key. Im going to try that just to eliminate this possibility

This is hard to debug because setup just hangs at the "one moment" screen. You cant use shift-f10 so you have to kill them VM and mount it to view the setup logs. And all the logs just show that the hostname of [prompt] is invalid. Thats seems bizzare. I would have thought [prompt] is a keyword for ntlite which causes the script to be inserted prompting for hostname instead of passing the literal
Script should have replaced the [Prompt], that's why I said that it's only possible if boot.wim wasn't updated or was replaced with the original.

I found an article today that shows how to replace the bootloader with one that doesnt require you to press a key. Im going to try that just to eliminate this possibility
You can disable the prompt in NTLite - Apply page - under Create ISO expand the suboption.

I don't like the fact that you still have this issue.
Maybe you can upload me the exact ISO after edit and PM me with the link? Confirm on VMware that it breaks.

Thanks.

Here is a simple preset that demos the issue. It is empty except for an unattended section and removing of all editions except home and pro
Steps to Repro:
1) Using Win 1122H2, Load pro edition
2) Apply Preset and create ISO
3) Boot iso. Choose home and it will fail in specialize phase every time. It also fails every time if you load home and then boot to Pro.

As far as I remember, This will also repro if you load home and boot iso to home. I dont know if other combos fail. I didnt have a need to try.

Thanks

Attachments

• Fails in Specialize.xml
    9.9 KB
I don't believe you're allowed to specify a Computer Name if you're joining a domain ("PAR"). It has to be random (for security reasons).
What happens if you remove the domain join, does it finish setup? I don't have a local domain to test this.

Here is a simple preset that demos the issue. It is empty except for an unattended section and removing of all editions except home and pro
Steps to Repro:
1) Using Win 1122H2, Load pro edition
2) Apply Preset and create ISO
3) Boot iso. Choose home and it will fail in specialize phase every time. It also fails every time if you load home and then boot to Pro.

As far as I remember, This will also repro if you load home and boot iso to home. I dont know if other combos fail. I didnt have a need to try.
Thanks, finally managed to replicate.
The combo needed was to apply your preset to the Home edition, but boot the Pro edition.
When booting the Home I would still get a normal prompt, error only on the Pro, as it wasn't the loaded one initially.

Will prepare a fix today and send you for confirmation.

Back